Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home networking problem

• Please log in to reply

cutecow

cutecow

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

My brother and I have been trying to network our 2 computers together. His being the master, mine being the slave. We have gone through and created it etc but it now says cable unplugged. We have tried reversing it by making mine master, still didnt work.

We used a friends laptop and the network works successfully both ways between his and my brothers, and his and mine. However when we put my brothers and my computer back in it says cable unplugged?

A friend suggested maybe the network cards could be incompatible? Could this be the problem?

My brothers network card is: SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
while mine is VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Is there a compatibility problem with these or is our problem something else?

Anyone have any idea's

Advertisements

pelinho

pelinho

• Pip
  • 3 posts
are you using crossover cable?if you are ,then it could be network cards problem.In recent time i had the same problem.then i just put in one computer new network card and everything started working

cutecow

cutecow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Pelinho,

Thanks for the advice. It does look like we have been sold the wrong cable. Am going to go get a crossover cable tommorow if possible.

Thanks for your help,
Holly