Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sounds drifted swiftly off into the ozone

• Please log in to reply

debqb1

debqb1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
on a friday i had sound-on saturday i didnt over a 12 hour period-on reading post about lost sounds someone else had , he was advised to uninstall the sound under the device manager-however, when i went to do this uninstall was not an option -all that was showing was sound, video and games controller and nothing else except a volume control icon-is this a clue as to what is wrong? is possibly a virus? if so nothing is catching it.ty for any help you might give me-ps tried reinstalling soundmax-made no difference, ty debbie

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi debgb1! Welcome to G2G!

Go into the DEVICE MANAGER (Right-click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES. In the window that appears, click on the HARDWARE tab and then the DEVICE MANAGER button) and click on the '+' symbol next to Sound, Video and Game Controllers, and list everything that is listed there. Also let me know if there is anything listed that has a yellow exclamation/question mark next to it.

Fenor

debqb1

debqb1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
first of all fenor ty for the swift reply audio codecs,legacy audio drivers,legacy video capture devices,media control devices,soundmax intergrated digital audio, video codecs.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have no sound at all or are only certain sounds missing?

Fenor

debqb1

debqb1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
the only sounds i hear are the modem dialing-nada, zero, zip for any other sounds-messengers lost sound first-until finally even that annoying hello and good bye from aol stopped-has been silent as a tomb since then.its not on mute anywhere i can find-cables are plugged in where they should be-wires are intact-no on / off switch-reinstalled soundmax card....uninstall is missing from sound controller -just an ok there with an audio icon...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi debqb1...

If you have the correct sound device drivers installed (No yellow ! or ? in Device Manager)...check the XP sound settings in Contro Panel.
  • Open Control Panel and double-click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.
  • Under the "Sounds" tab, select "Windows default" in the Sounds Scheme drop down menu.
  • Under the "Audio" tab, make sure that your sound device is listed in the top two sections...if not, select it from the drop down menu. (soundmax intergrated digital audio)
  • Under the "Voice" tab, make sure your sound device is listed in both boxes...if not, select it.
  • Under the "Volume" tab, put a tick in the box to "Place volume icon in the taskbar".
  • Click "Apply" and then "Ok".
Now look down by the clock...is there a little speaker there? If yes, double-click on it and make sure there is not a tick in the box next to "Mute" and that the Volume sliders are all set to at least halfway.

Sound?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 22 January 2006 - 02:00 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Great ideas there wannabe1. Saved me the time of having to type it in. :) One thing I would add though is that if you have another computer that you can test the speakers on to make sure they work, that would be a good idea. Or if you have another set of speakers that you can hook up to your computer to test would also be good.

You know you're in good hands with the Terrible Twins double-teaming the problem. :tazz:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 22 January 2006 - 03:41 PM.

debqb1

debqb1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:) if you guys are "TERRIble twins then i am in love with terrible :tazz: ok did all wannabe suggested and also upgraded windows media player which said it found problems and supposedly fixed them-guess speakers are bad aren't they?drat am on a limited income won't have the money till feb 3rd-i will test speakers then get back to you if problem persists and speakers are ok....sound disappeared about the time a program came up for aloha solitare-says aloha~something.exe could this be a virus?also cannot uninstall some programs on add / remove programs...do i need to turn off system restore and run virus scanners? so they get virus in there right? hey you terrible twins are awesome!!!!! i am actually learning something-this middle aged lady geek wannbe too thanks you :)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Since you are on a limited budget, let's have you try some things that will only cost you time not money.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

This will make sure that there isn't any underlying malware-related problem that is causing your computer to not produce any sound. Post back here with the link to your post in the Malware Forum so me and wannabe1 can follow along with it.

Fenor

debqb1

debqb1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
link me please to malware forum i am tired and in pain from fibromyalgia-you two are awesome-my machine was full of nasty little bugs-28 have the log and dont know the heck to put it ty debbie

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy!

HiJackThis Logs Go Here.

wannabe1

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Thanks wannabe1, even though the link to the malware forum was in my last post. :tazz:

Fenor