Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple problems

• Please log in to reply

JohnBoot

JohnBoot

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer was recently infected with several virus', along with spyware/adware etc. I cleaned it all up, and now I am having problems with a few things.

It appears as though all my hardware is gone. My video card/sound card doesn't run(ATI Radeon). I also recieve
"windows cannot open help and support because a system service is not running" frequently.

Just did sfc /scannow and everything appears to be fine there.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix my problem?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi There JohnBoot, I see that you have already posted a Hijackthis log and your problem still persists.

You say that your sound/graphics card is not working, try reinstalling all your computer drivers. eg. Graphic drivers, sound card drivers, direct x, and any other drivers that are needed for your computer to work.

Let me know if that works. Goodluck :tazz:

JohnBoot

JohnBoot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Already did all the drivers. One other thing I neglected to mention, when my computer first boots, I get a message about several liscenses not being valid, along with "ATI Graphics - you do not have permission to change CATALYST control center settings. please contact administrator for further help." also "the remote procedure failed"

Edited by JohnBoot, 22 January 2006 - 06:08 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try running the cat uninstaller

http://support.ati.c...=737&deptID=894

ATI say the best drivers to use are the ones which are on the software CD supplied with the card unless you have problems

Have you got .net framework installed

You can try other versions of the driver here

http://www.filehippo...d_ati_catalyst/

JohnBoot

JohnBoot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When trying to reinstall my ati software, i also get the error message "remote procedure protocal failed" no luck

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type services.msc then press enter, check the remote procedure call (top of two) is set to automatic, and also that it is running

JohnBoot

JohnBoot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It is running, and set to automatic. When i double click on it it says "Configuration manager: the plug and play service or another req service is not availble"

Any other ideas? (also thanks for the help already)

Edited by JohnBoot, 22 January 2006 - 08:12 PM.