Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive question

• Please log in to reply

ISPtech

ISPtech

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i have a wdc wd400bd-75jma0 in my PC now and need to add another drive for additional space. is this a sata-150 or an ata/100 drive and can i put one of each in a computer without any problems. any help would be awesome. thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

On the basis of the model number of that drive, it appears to be a sata drive.
Your motherboard will have at least 2 sata ports so adding a second sata drive shouldn't be a problem. It should also have 1 or 2 IDE controllers so you be ok adding an IDE hard drive instead if you wish.
Be aware however, that if your motherboard only has one IDE controller & that controller already has an optical drive on it, then adding an IDE drive to this controller will slow the IDE hard drive down.

If you do decide to have an sata & an ide hard drive, check with your motherboard manufacturers website to make sure there aren't any known issues with this configuration.

ISPtech

ISPtech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks. you rock.