Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Second power supply fried

• Please log in to reply

alexatech

alexatech

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4550. One day it did not start up. As if it was not plugged in.
I took the power supply to be tested. The local computer shop told me that it was dead.
I ordered a replacement from Dell. I installed it in the computer.
Shortly after I plugged in the cord, I heard a loud discharge sound (paff!). I could smell something electrical burning (the power supply). After 3 minutes I attempted to start the computer. No go.
I believe that the replacement power supply has met the same fate as the original one.
What should I look for? Besides another computer. :tazz:
What could be shorting the power supply to the point of burning it?
Thank you,
-Alex

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

The first thing I would check would be the mains cable, especially if you used the same cable on both power supplies.
After that, I would suspect the power outlet (wall socket) itself. If you experience similar problems with other electrical applicances around the house though, then the entire electrical supply in the house should be checked out.

I guess as a long shot, there could be a fault with the computer itself that had caused this to happen, but it seems rather unlikely & I've certainly never heard of this happening to anyone.

For future reference, you may be well advised to invest in a surge protection device for the computer.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Power Supply Failure
23rd Jan 2006

Shortly after I plugged in the cord, I heard a loud discharge sound (paff!). I could smell something electrical burning (the power supply).

What country are you Posting from – I would suspect that you have a – [Voltage Incompatibility Problem] –

Keep in mind – That in the USA – There are several voltages standards –
(1) [115 Volts] –
(2) [120 Volts] –
(3) [208 Volts] –
(4) [240 Volts] –
Each has its own – [Standards on Connections] – However each can be – [Compromised] – by unqualified workmanship -

There are basically – 2 sections to the Power Supply – that are susceptible to – [External Conditions] -
(1) Input –
(2) Output –

If the Input is being damaged – it is generally caused by – [Overvoltage] or [Low Frequency] – Both are properties of the – [Power Source] –

If the Output is being damaged – it is generally caused by – [Excessive Current] and the PC power supply has protective circuitry for this condition –

Can you Post back –
(1) The Part Number of both Power Supplies –
(2) The Input Voltage of both Power Supplies

Jack123

alexatech

alexatech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Jack,
I am using 120V in the State of Illinois. Or so they tell me.
The voltage selector on the power supply is set to 115V.
There is a flat panel monitor plugged into the wall outlet which also supplies the computer. The outlet has been installed recently by an electrician.
The LCD monitor works fine in the same outlet.
I swap them just to make sure. The LCD's still working.
The computer was working before it was moved.
The part number is DLP2507F3C. It's 250W.
Thank you very much,
-Alex

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Power Supply Failure [#2]
25th Jan 2006

1st –

The computer was working before it was moved.
The part number is DLP2507F3C. It's 250W

1- Cannot find any info using that P/N –
2- Do you still have both Power Supplies in your possession –
3- Do They both have the same Part Number –
4- You are talking about the Internal Power Supply – Located inside the PC Case –
5- The Dell Dimension 4550 – should have a 450 Watt Power Supply – with 12 Volt@ 23 AMP
6- What is the 12 Volt Current rating on both of the supplies that fried –
7- Are they [Original Dell Parts] or [Dell Compatible Parts]
8- Dell uses Non Standard Power ATX Power Supplies & Non Standard Motherboards – [Requires Special Connectors/Adaptors -
9- Tell me more of – [Move] – Moved from – [Where – TO – Where]
10- Who – Uninstalled old Power Supply & Installed the replacement –
11- Give me all Info on Power Supply Name Plate –
12- Is there an [Adaptor Cable] – between Power Supply & Motherboard was that used on New PS
13- Were the Power Connections to Motherboard – Correctly Connected – [Non Standard Connectors]
14- Visually Inspect Motherboard – for Burnt tracks – Blown Capacitors

I just do not understand that Power Supply being installed in that PC with that Motherboard – It appears that Motherboard – may have been connected wrong – then was fried & then caused Power Supply Failure –

2nd

There is a flat panel monitor plugged into the wall outlet which also supplies the computer. The outlet has been installed recently by an electrician

1- What is Manufacturer & Model Number of this Flat Panel Display
2- What kind of building – [Office Building] – [Single Dwelling] – [Apartment] – [Industrial] –
3- What Room/Location – [Office] – [Den] – Living Room] – [Basement] – [Kitchen] – [Bedroom]

The Flat Panel Monitor probably has a [Power Pack Adaptor] – That can be connected to – AC input – with a range of [90 –240 V / 50 – 60 Hz] – So it would survive – an Improperly wired Power Outlet – Have you ever had anything else connected to this – [Outlet] – besides the PC & Monitor – And was the 1st Power Supply Failure – The – [Initial Connection] of this PC to this Outlet –

What do you mean by – [Recently Installed] - & What is the reason for Installation of the Outlet -

I kind of suspect that it - [Outlet] - may be improperly connected to a [220 Volt Circuit] – I strongly recommend that this – [Outlet] be tested for Voltage -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 25 January 2006 - 12:22 PM.

alexatech

alexatech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Jack,
At the risk of being redundant, you hit the JACKpot!
I followed your advice and took another computer to the outlet in question.
I switched the power supply from 115V to 220V.
Plugged the machine (now ready to receive 220V).
Fired it... and it worked just fine.
In conclusion, the electrician turns out being the faulty part.
I will make sure to avoid his part number in the future. :tazz:

Thank you for your help!!
You hit the nail on the head. I wish I could hit the electrician's head. :)
But, I will settle if he buys me a new power supply.

-Alex

Edited by alexatech, 30 January 2006 - 10:09 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Power Supply Failure (#3)
31st Jan 2006

Fired it... and it worked just fine.
In conclusion, the electrician turns out being the faulty part.
I will make sure to avoid his part number in the future.

Fired it

"Fired it" – is a Scary Choice of words – That is what you did with previous Power Supply – Literally

That was no Electrician – I think more of – Electrocution – Is his name – Sparky or was that – Murphy

I kind of suspect that it may be improperly connected to a [220 Volt Circuit] – I strongly recommend that this – [Outlet] be tested for Voltage

Sorry, I omitted the word – SAFELY – I was thinking more like using a – Voltmeter

Seriously – That is a – Dangerous Situation – How many other Outlets did he – Install ??

I really did not want to be correct in my diagnosis – You really need to have that corrected – And need to have entire building tested for other – Wiring Errors –

1- Hot & Neutral Switched
2- Hot & Safety Ground Switched
3- Neutral & Safety Ground Switched
4- Missing Safety Ground
5- Faulty/Loose Connections
6- Overloaded Circuits

It is nice to be – Right – But not – Dead Right – I was really worried – That I may never hear from you again

Good thing that you had a – Flat Screen – Monitor –

Jack123

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Power Supply Failure [#4]
2nd Feb 2006

One last comment on the – [Electrical Outlet] – in question –

This is my professional opinion on what may have been the – [Wiring Malfunction] –

1- The Original Outlet was wired for a 220 Volt – 20 AMP Air Conditioner – [A/C Unit]
2- Originally had a 240V/ 20 Amp – [NEMA 6-20] – AC Outlet – [The correct AC Receptacle]
3- This was probably mistakenly identified as a 120V/ 20 Amp – [NEMA 5-20R] AC Outlet – which are some what similar See Electrical Receptacles.
4- Someone wanted/requested a – Standard 120V/ 15 Amp – [NEMA 5-15R] AC Outlet so the Standard PC AC Cord/plug could be connected
5- NEMA Standards keep these – [Unique AC Receptacles] from inadvertently being connected with an improper Voltage and/or Current Device Plug –
6- NEMA is not – [FOOL proof] –

The Receptacle needs to be – [Corrected] – by a – [NEC Qualified/Licensed Electrician] – that can
1- Determine the Wire Size/Gauge –
2- Determine Voltage Rating –
3- Determine Current Rating –
4- Determine Correct Fuse/Protection Rating
5- Determine Proper NEMA AC Voltage & Current Receptacle
6- Properly Wire & Mark/Label the Circuit per NEC -

I have fixed/repaired many – [Devices] – by correcting these – [House/Building Wiring Errors/Malfunctions] – I have seen this – [Movie] – before

Amen
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 20 February 2006 - 10:08 PM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Jack .....

You seem to be pretty well grounded in this so I have one that makes no sense whatsoever from my perspective. Not being a wise guy by asking this, please enlighten me or should we all dismiss the following as " a little less than accurate" ?

There is a flat panel monitor plugged into the wall outlet which also supplies the computer. The outlet has been installed recently by an electrician.
The LCD monitor works fine in the same outlet.

Thanks in advance.
:tazz:

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Power Supply Failure [#5]
2nd Feb 2006

Not being a wise guy by asking this, please enlighten me or should we all dismiss the following as " a little less than accurate" ?

What inaccuracy – about the LCD ???- As I stated in my Post – [Power Supply Failure [#2] – Dated 25th Jan 2006-

The Flat Panel Monitor probably has a [Power Pack Adaptor] – That can be connected to – AC input – with a range of [90 –240 V / 50 – 60 Hz] – So it would survive – the Improperly wired Power Outlet.

Aha – [Rockster2U] – needs – [Enlightened] – [The Reason] –

The Power Pack is a – [250 Volt Step Down Transformer] with its [Full Waved Rectified DC Output] – [Clamped] – [Filtered] – [Regulated] – [Short Circuit Protected] & [Is Positive Output Polarized] – for a – [+12 VDC Output] –

The Good News is – That Some Designs are – [Fool Proof] -

Jack123

Edited – The most important item to be stressed – [Repair Faulty Wired Outlet] – NOW -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 02 February 2006 - 09:12 PM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Thanks - understand fully now - I missed anything & everything about a step down transformer on the LCD monitor. I was thinking this would light up the whole room and then some if plugged into a 220 or 240 Volt outlet.

Regards
:tazz:

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Power Supply Failure [#6]
3rd Feb 2006

I was thinking this would light up the whole room and then some if plugged into a 220 or 240 Volt outlet.

Exactly – That is why I am – [Adamant] – About – Repairing this – [Blatant NEC Violation] -

See my Post - Power Supply Failure [#3] – Dated 31st Jan 2006 -

Good thing that you had a – Flat Screen – Monitor –

Jack123