Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

short term connection

• Please log in to reply

rivley

rivley

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Recently setup wireless network using NETGEAR DG834G, everything works great on both my desktop and laptop, print sharing, file sharing, internet etc etc. BUT my laptop will only stay connected wirelessly for 8 or 9 minutes and then goes to limited or no connectivity.
I can then reconnect to the network by searching for network, clicking connect. the screen then says not connected but the button at the bottom say disconnect, if i then click on the advanced setup button, dont make any changes but just click ok everything springs back to life, and so the cycle starts again, another 8 or 9 minutes.

It's very very annoying, Ive spoke to all the tech support guys i can, I spoke to netgear, they blamed AOL, ispoke to AOL, they blamed Netgear, ispoke to Netgear again, they blamed Microsoft!!

Someone help please before i drop kick it out the back door.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi rivley,

Someone help please before i drop kick it out the back door.

Sounds exciting -- you should try it and see if it helps; if it does, let me know.

It's very very annoying, Ive spoke to all the tech support guys i can, I spoke to netgear, they blamed AOL, ispoke to AOL, they blamed Netgear, ispoke to Netgear again, they blamed Microsoft!!

It's a beautiful cycle. It doesn't really go anywhere, but still... beautiful.

First of all, please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR --> press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings.

Second, goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click your Connection and select Properties --> Click on the Authentication tab --> Disable / uncheck the option IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network. Restart your computer and then see if you still get disconnected. Still disconnected? Then continue..

Thirdly, goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click your Local Area Connection and select Properties --> Now press the Configure button next to your network card and then select the tab Power Management and make sure that Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power is unchecked.

Have you tried setting up a Static IP address and seeing if you still get disconnected?Goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - copy down the following details:
IP Address ...........
Subnet Mask .......
Default Gateway ........
Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections.

Right click on your connection, and select Properties. Click on Internet Protocl (TCP/IP) once, then press the Properties button. Select the option Use the following IP Address: and enter in the details you wrote down earlier. Once done, restart your computer and see if you still get the regular interval disconnects. If you do, repeat the steps above and reselect Obtain an IP Address automatically.

When you lose the connection, can you ping the routers IP Address? Can you log into it's web console? Can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternatively for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then type: IPCONFIG /ALL -- now, down the bottom, what's the interval between Lease Obtained and Lease Expires -- for example, mine is:
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 23, 2006 7:24:16 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 26, 2006 7:24:16 A
What does yours look like?

rivley

rivley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Dan, you are a genius!!

been online for 25 minutes and no disconnect yet, its amazing. Igot to stage two in your advice and that seems to of done the trick. i can access the internet fine, i cant access my shared music files though, i can find the right file and can select the right album folder but when i click the folder to display the individual music tracks the shared folder stops responding. Simular thing for shared pics and files.

I'm hoping for another nugget of genius, can you help, again??

Once again, Dan you are a genius, you achived in one small post what 3 tech support teams couldn't in several hours of phone calls.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

you achived in one small post what 3 tech support teams couldn't in several hours of phone calls.

That's not overly difficult :tazz: I hope you weren't being charged for those calls :) In the future, you shouldn't waste your time with the manufacturers... Just come to GeeksToGo! :)

i cant access my shared music files though, i can find the right file and can select the right album folder but when i click the folder to display the individual music tracks the shared folder stops responding. Simular thing for shared pics and files.

When did this start happening? Does it go both ways? ie: Can neither computer access the others shared folders? Do you have any firewalls installed? Try disabling them, and then try to share files.. Alternately, restart both computers into Safe Mode with Networking, and then try to share files; any change? If you still can't access anything, then continue..

On the computer which you are trying to access files, try this...
Please goto Start --> Run --> Type CMD and press OK --> Now, please do the following -- replace D:\ with the path to your Shared Folders -- ie: if you have D:\Shared Folder shared, then you would type cacls D:\Shared Folder /g everyone:f -- alternately, if you have the whole D:\ drive shared, then you'd type the below command.
cacls D:\ /g everyone:f -- NOTE: There is a space between the \ and / along with a space between the g and everyone -- there is no space between the everyone, : and f

Any change?