Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Certain windows won't open...

• Please log in to reply

Niloc25

Niloc25

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My girlfriend deleted something or things a few weeks ago... and now certain windows like, "gamechannel-in yahoo sports", won't open, and when i do try to open it only the outline of the screen pops up like it's trying to upload but it doesn't... and also when i go to open other windows from different pages a blank screen comes up and i have to hit 'stop' and then hit the 'go' button to make the screen upload... if you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated, and seeing as though i'm not very technically in sync with comps, it would be great if you could break down the problem into something that i can understand... lol, thank you...

Advertisements

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP
Hi!

To start with, do some cleaning:

Shut down Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.
Go to Control Panel/Internet, and clear your temporary Internet Files.
Also clear your History.

Now go to the Advanced tab, and click Restore Defaults.
And go to the Security tab, and click restore defaults there as well.

Now do the following:

Go to Start/Run, and type each line separately, followed by clicking OK:

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

After each time you click OK, you should get a dialog box notifying you that your dll has been registered successfully.
After registering all dlls, reboot, and see whether that has fixed the problem.

If no joy, have a look at this MS article: You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens After You Click a Link

You could also run IE Repair, if you have it available: Control Panel > Software Add-Remove/MS Internet Explorer > Remove > Repair IE

Finally, many running Windows 98 and IE 6.0 have reported that reverting back to an older oleaut32.dll version from their CD did the trick.

So my last advice would be to restore a copy of Oleaut32.dll from your Windows CD-ROM to the Windows\System folder using System File Checker: How to extract files in Windows 98 and Windows Me

Good luck,

Edited by TonyKlein, 23 January 2006 - 10:41 AM.