Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ie 6 page can not be displayed

• Please log in to reply

kathyscott

kathyscott

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Running IE 6 w/ sp2 When trying to log into my banking sites browser shows this page cannot be displayed. tried to do a windows update and said the same thing. tried to download microsoft malisious software tool at http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en and received same message.

Previously tried to got back to time prior to the problem and restore. this also failed. Firewall is off. using norton antivirus. updates auto daily

where do i start?

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
hi Kathy, Welcome to geeks to Go!!!

can you view other websites? do you suspect malware? does your browser accept cookies?when did this all start?

kathyscott

kathyscott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes other sites can be viewed. Banking site is HTTPS. Other sites ie: home shopping, I can log in but can't buy anything just browse. Cookies are enabled. This started in late december. I am not sure about the malware.... How do I check for that?

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
there are malware scans that you can run to check for malware, but a lot of those thouse thorough in some areas do have wholes in them. if you do suspect malware, like strange popups, or some other reason go to the malware forum and post there. For my next attemp at your problem, i am going to suggest you download the patches for IE6, even if this does not fix your problem it is good to have them. IE6 has more wholes in in then a piece of swiss cheese. :tazz: please post back if this solves your problem.

kathyscott

kathyscott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
downloaded updates and maliciuos software removal tool. all is well!! Thank you so much!

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
glad i could help!!!!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hi kathyscott,
I noticed in a past post you indicated that you had turned off you firewall, some times they cause problem however are very rare expecially the xp firewall. So to prevent future infection i strongly recommend that you enable your firewall so that you will have another line of defense. You can do so by going
start->controle panel->Secuity center-> firewall and then enable it!
thanx
James Sager

Edited by james_8970, 25 January 2006 - 06:56 PM.