Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Graphics Card Advice

• Please log in to reply

Straylight

Straylight

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello everyone :)

I currently have a useless graphics card in my computer and want to upgrade to a GeForce 6800 but the thing is i dont know if my motherboard will take it :tazz: as i dont know much about computers. Here's my motherboard. My processor is an AMD Athlon 3400+

CPU:
AMD K8
Chipset:
VIA K8M800/8237R
Socket:
Form Factor:
244mm x 210 mm
FSB / Hyper Transport:
800+ MHz
Memory:
2*DDR266/333/400
Int. GFX:
Y
AGP:
8X
PCI-E / PCI:
USB:
8 USB 2.0/1.1 Ports (4 ports by optional cable)
LAN:
Realtek 10/ 100 Ethernet LAN
Sound:
6 channel AC 97 Audio
South Bridge Speed :
ATA133
RAID:
Serial ATA RAID 0,1
Serial ATA:
2 Serial ATA150 Channels

Would I be able to use the GeForce 6800 and if so, what connection type would i need? I understand that there's AGP or PCI?! (might be wrong). Thanks for your time. :)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That motherboard is listed as having an optional AGP 8x slot so you would need an AGP version of the 6800, also look out for an x850xt pe and see if its in your price range its the fastest you can buy for AGP and the prices are similar to 6800s.

Straylight

Straylight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Many thanks :tazz: