Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Search" Option Has Disappeared

• Please log in to reply

Sophia_rose

Sophia_rose

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi! I have a problem. The "Search" option on our main computer has completely disappeared from the Start menu. Also, when I go to "my computer" and then "C Drive", the search button is listed along the top, but clicking it does nothing. I have two questions. How could the search function just disappear? And, how can we get it back? Just to let you know, it has been like this for about a year now, and the computer and internet experiences no other problems. Thanks so much for any assistance you can give me! :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Sophia rose! Welcome to G2G!

Lets first work on getting Search to again show in the Start menu....

Please right click this LINK, choose SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS, and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember where it is located. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\search.reg to the registry? Then reboot your computer and once rebooted see if Search is back in the Start menu.

Fenor

Sophia_rose

Sophia_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Fenor! :) Thank you for your warm welcome and excellent advice! I now have my search back! I do have another question that the search function's help and support center has not answered for me. When I search a word that I know is contained in one of my word documents, the search does not find the document. When searching, I put the word in both the "all or part of the file name" box and the "a word or phrase in the file" box, and I have tried searching using the general search and the advanced search options. I have tried to search using the "search hidden folders", "search subfolders", "search system folders", and "search tape backup", all checked. I have searched in "all files and folders", "C Drive", and "my documents", but the search option never finds the word I know exists within at least one of my word documents. Is the Search function not able to search single words inside of documents? Or is there a setting I need to change to allow it to search within documents? Any help will be truly appreciated! :tazz:
p.s. Thanks again for helping me restore my Search function! [font=Comic Sans Ms]

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well you said that you put the "word in both the 'all or part of the file name' box and the 'a word or phrase in the file' box". What you want to do is just put the word you want to find in the "a word or phrase in the file" box. If you put it in both you will never find it because you would then have ot find a file that has that name in the filename itself as well as the text in the file.

Fenor

Sophia_rose

Sophia_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OHHHHHHH!! I get it! :tazz: Thank you so much, Fenor!