Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Computer Build...Need help!

• Please log in to reply

kikkoman_2390

kikkoman_2390

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys! i was wondering if anyone could check out my specs and see if they are compatible and if u have any suggestions and if i'm missing anything...THANKS :tazz:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

Mobo: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe ATX AMD Motherboard

VideoCard: eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N516 Video Card

CD/DVD Drive: LITE-ON Black IDE Combo Drive Model SOHC-5236V BK RTL (i was thinking of getting two.

Memory: OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Platinum System Memory

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar RE2 400GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 RAID

Case: Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

Power Supply: ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK 520W Power Supply

I also still need help finding a good Heatsink/Fan (i am goin to do some overclocking) and I am not sure about that videocard. Also, is my hard drive compatible and if not what's a good hard drive with 400GB. Thanks again for the help.

Edited by kikkoman_2390, 22 January 2006 - 06:19 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i would maybe get another mobo im not a big ASUS fan at the moment with the bother we have had with them on here, if you want to overclock go for a DFI motharboard they are the best overclockers by far. Maybe get a SATA II hard drive for the faster interface.

You shouldnt need to have to overclock that system its got plenty speed allready.The stockHSF is pretty good as well for something better any of the arctic freezers are excellent or there are the good ones from thermalright or zalman.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I saw this thread earlier today and didnt get a chance to respond.

Yeah, I dont like asus at all actually and will never buy one unless I get a good deal on one. They are a so-so board and nothing really great about them, although that board looks high quality to me but the price is alot. What I would do is find a cheaper motherboard $110-$160 and then upgrade your video card to a nvidia 7800gtx. You can get a good 7800gtx 256mb for $440-$470. They have more expensive ones also but thats all you need in the range I specified.

Or you could get the 7800gt like you wanted above and then upgrade the amd dual core x2 to the next step above to the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor, only $97 more at the time I posted this.

Either way, I ended up saving you money and getting a faster pc.

You almost have enough to get the 4400+ amd x2 dual core and the 7800gtx together for the price difference if you get a cheaper motherboard. A motherboard in the $110-$160 range is not cheap, definately not in the $120 and above. :tazz: