Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what speed memory have I got as want to upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

Andyloc

Andyloc

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am very very confused.

I have a MSI 7046 motheboard, it is a 3.06GHz Pentiunm 4 with a 533MHz FSB. 512Mb RAM

I want to add another 512Mb RAM to my PC.

I have used PCwizard, Everest, and the Crucial scan tool, and looked in Bios and it says PC3200

Is the current RAM in my PC running at PC3200? or is it running at the slower PC2100 (or even PC2700).

The reason I ask is that I have a spare 512Mb stick of PC2100 in a old PC, I didnt want to put it in as thought it would slow down too much and not match the bus speeds or whatever.

Can someone please help, what speed is the factory built memory running at?

if you download CPUz (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) This is what it states on the memory page (sorry cant find how to insert an image)

Frequency: 133MHz
FSB:DRAM 1:1

on the CPU page it states
Core SPeed 3059MHz
Multiplier x23
FSB 133MHz
Bus Speed 532MHz

If the current 512Mb speed is only running at PC2100 (although the actual stick can run at PC3200) I may as well use the stick I have and not have to buy another one.

Basic question is: what speed is the current 512Mb stick inside running? PC2100,PC2700 or PC3200?

If its at it full speed of PC3200 then I need to buy anohter one, if its running at PC2100 beacuse of the speed of the FSB anyway, I will install my spre PC2100.

hope someone can put me out of my misery
thanks
Andy

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It looks like your current memory is running at 266MHz (133 x 2) i.e PC2100. This is due to the FSB of the cpu being 533MHz (=133 x 4).

It may be worth checking in the bios to see if it allows you to clock the FSB of the memory independently of the cpu FSB. If it doesn't though, then you may as well use your spare PC2100 stick of ram, unless you're planning to run it in dual channel mode.

If your board supports dual channel, then both sticks need to be identical in order to use that mode. You could still use the two sticks in single channel mode but you won't get the performance increase that dual channel offers.

Andyloc

Andyloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
thanks for the reply, I couldnt find anything in the bios to clock the FSB of the memory different, take it, its not an overclockers M/B, its a MSI 7046 OEM from Medion.

Not that bothered about dual channel as dont think I wil get much from it really, but thanks anyway.

thanks for your clear reply, I have had loads of replies and been very confused. the above pics show some of my confusion, which is the best utility in your opinion?

thanks again
Andy

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Both cpu-z & Everest are pretty good as far as I know.

NB. When installing the second ram module, check with your motherboard manual (if you have one) to see which two slots to use in order to run the memory in single channel mode. Its usually the first two slots for single channel & slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 for dual channel

Andyloc

Andyloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
its just got more confusing.

I added the PC2100 stick, and now CPUz reports that the FSB:DRAM ratio is 5:4, also the memory speed shown in the bios is now at 333MHz, whereas before it was 400MHz.

what is gong on in here???

please help?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
see if you can download Everest home edition i use it onmy new pc it will tell you everthing that you will need to no it will tell you cpu temp fan speeds and everything that is connected to your compute and it's specs. usually there will be an internet link to your hardware's manufacturer (Depending on how old the system is) then you might be able to find out a little more about the RAM

This is a usfull tool it works for me :)
go to
http://www.softpedia...e-Edition.shtml
and download it from there :tazz:

Andyloc

Andyloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yeh I have that, its confusing when it goes on about the memory though.

What info do you want to help me?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
firstly,
go into everest and click on computer then overclock this will tell you what your memory is running at e.g 133MHz or 200MHz this will tell you if your PC 3200 is running at 3200 speeds or as you said PC 2100

secondly
it may be because your motherboard cant handle that certain speed
what does your motherboard manual say that it can handle? 800MHz or something different

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
also having all of thoose specs
FSB motherboard support (800MHz)
RAM speeds

find out in the bios if u can change your multiplier and raise your FSB

Andyloc

Andyloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi My CPU is a Pentium 4 3.06GHz with a 533MHz FSB speed.

The M/B manual says it supports 533/800Mhz FSB

there is no option in the BIOS to change it. On bootup without the PC2100 in, it stated RAM was 400MHz, then when I added the PC2100 it droped to 333Mhz.

If you look here I have posted some pics
http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=93725

thanks for your interest and help, I will check Everest now

Advertisements

Andyloc

Andyloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
heres a pic for you

Everest_1Gb_pic.JPG

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok from what i can gather when you boot up with the PC 3200 stick in the comp the clock speed is 400MHz but when you boot up with the two RAm sticks (PC 3200 and PC 2100) your bios says that the clock speed is 333MHz is this correct??

Andyloc

Andyloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
thats right yeh

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok look the problem here is that when you place your old memory stick of PC2100 into the memory slot with the PC3200 still in it the whole system will slow down to accomodate for the slower RAM what you should really do is go and buy another stick of PC3200 this will make your system run at 800Mhz FSB remember everest will say that the "real clock" is 200MHz but actually it is 800MHz bacause intel P4's are double pumped. Doing this will improve the speed by a fair bit i hope that this solves your problem :tazz:

if not my email is [email protected] feel free to email me and we will chat on MSN cause it will be alot easier
goodluck :)

Andyloc

Andyloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
are you online now for chat pls.