Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what speed memory have I got as want to upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
From what I can tell, your system is obviously capable of running the memory at a different FSB from the CPU. The CPU, as you said originally, is running at 533MHz but I didn't realise that the ram originally was running at 400MHz.
If there is no way of adjusting this manually in the bios, then the system is obviously auto-detecting the FSB for the memory.

What is puzzling is that the memory now appears to be running at 333MHz, rather than at the FSB of the slowest ram module.
Its almost like its set the memory FSB at the average for the two modules.

To be honest, now that I realise that your original module was running at 400MHz, I would advise that you buy another module (PC3200) instead of using the PC2100. Apart from the fact that the PC2100 module has slowed the overall memory FSB down, because it is running at 166MHz, the older module is actually being overclocked. This is likely to affect the stability of the system overall.

Advertisements

Andyloc

Andyloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I understand what you are saying but how can the PC3200 be runnig at a different speed to the CPUs FSB? I thought they had to run in sync? ie 400MHz and 533Mhz are different base numbers, ie 200MHz and 133MHz.

I thin kits best to order a new PC3200 stick but this issue is starnge and I would like to get to the bottom of it.

thanks for the great help so far

Andyloc

Andyloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
can you confirm the aboe reply please?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It is possible for the FSB of the memory to run at a different FSB to the CPU. Most systems are capable of adjusting the memory fsb automatically to a certain degree without it affecting the fsb of the cpu

Andyloc

Andyloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I see, this I did not know and kind of explains a lot soesnt it, ie putting in PC2100 and PC2700 in my system defaults my memory bus speed to 333MHz, rather than the 400MHz it was operating at with my PC3200.

I have no means due to a OEM locked BIOS to adjust FSB or memory bus speeds.

So really my only option is to get another PC3200 - yeh?

Can you explain how the FSB and memory bus can operate at different speeds though? I thought they had to be identical?

thanks again
Andy

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Generally speaking you're right, but some Pentium 4 systems allow for memory ratios (such as 5/4) to allow the FSB of the ram to be different from that of the cpu. The FSB is merely adjusted by this ratio.

Consider the FSB of your cpu which is 133MHz. The ram was running at fsb of 166MHz, this gives is a ratio of 4:5 (cpu FSB:ram FSB)

Andyloc

Andyloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I understand, but CPUz reports my FSB:DRAM is a 1:1 ratio? at 133Mhz for the FSB and 133MHz for the memory tab??

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I dunno then. All I can say is that CPU-Z and similar utilities don't always get it right.