Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

registry files

• Please log in to reply

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I had a problem with my dvd drive not being recognized so i went into my registry files and deleted the files for the dvd drive and then it got recognized and works. Well in the process i must have deleted the file that allows burning of cd's. Roxio doesnt recognize the drive at all and the burning software that came with it says its an unsupported drive. When i use other products such as itunes or some others it says the registry files are missing to burn with. Is there any way to install these without reformatting?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi redcrypt!

Please go to START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow, noting the space between SFC and /SCANNOW. This will run the built-in System File Checker, which will check your operating system files to see if any are missing/corrupt. If it finds any, you may be asked to insert your Windows XP CD. Do so if so asked. Once the blue bar has gone away reboot your computer and post back how things are going and we will continue from there.

Fenor

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
For future reference, there is a thing called the "Device Manager" in your Control Panel>System> Hardware where you should have removed your dvd drive or made other changes. You do not need to go into the registry for a dvd that isn't being recognized.

Johanna

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
good advice, Johanna!

Edited by pip22, 23 January 2006 - 06:11 AM.

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I recently deleted some files in my registry editor and now my drive isnt recognized by burning software... it is recognized to play dvd's cd's games and other stuff where as it wasnt able to do this before i deleted the registry editor files for the dvd drive
Is there any way to reinstall the drivers without reformatting? Also going into the run command and typing regedit doesnt bring up anything. is there another way to access it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
before you wen't monkeying in the registry (bad idea) did start > run > regedit open up the registry editor?

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I believe that is how i got into it in the first place im not sure though I followed the directions from the post I got on here last time

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I tried to go into device manager and delete it and get it recognized but that did not work so I posted on here and yalls advice was to delete it under the registry editor and it worked to get it recognized, I just cant burn stuff now cuz i think i deleted a file you didnt say to

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you access the system restore function? if so try restoring to a date prior to the mishap with regedit

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
im not really sure how system restore works but right now im trying the sfc /scannow thing and see if that helps

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's a good one to try as well

if that doesn't fix the issue do
start > run > %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
redcrypt i merged your two topics because they are deffinitely related

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok its the same problem i just couldnt find my old post and wasnt getting emails from the replies so I made a new one to try and solve the problem

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
i ran sfc /scannow and then rebooted when it finished and it wouldnt boot up normally or at the last good known point or whatever it is so I had to start in safe mode and use the save point i created right before i ran the scan. when it came back up it said it had to rename a file nv4_display... I did get an error message when rebooting one other time after doing something recomended that said my nvidea display driver caused it but all the updates are older versions that what i have.
is there not a site i can go to download dvd driver registry files or should i just reformat