He has a 3 year old desktop running Windows XP.
There are two log on users. He and his daughter. Neither recall doing anything unsual to cause the problem.
The message I have received from him indicates the problem as follows.
1. Computer is switched on and it seems to start normally.
2. The "Welcome" screen appears
3. Then a small box appears with the message:
Explorer EXE - Application Error
X The application failed to initialize properly (OXC0000022).
Click on OK to terminate the application
I don't want to risk ruining his set up, so could you please help me out here.
This is what I propose to do.
1. Start the computer in the safe mode by hitting the F8 key.
2. Try to do a system restore at a point or date when it last worked properly
(I presume the process would be to highlight and enter "Last known good configuration..." when the computer starts in the safe mode.)
Will this fix the problem? If not any other suggestions?