Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer freeze

• Please log in to reply

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
This nothing emergency and I not really concern for fixing it. It is more for my curiousity.
I'm running this system for about three years now. Every thing great except for if I left it on without doing any thing for let say half of day and it will freeze to the point that the only option I have is the reset button. Thing is it only do that when I left it not to do any thing. Other than that if I put any load on it will run for days without any problem( I do video alots eh). system spec :
-P4 2.5 @ 533
-Gigabyte Board(8INXP) with 845intel chip set
-1G EEC Kingston memory
-60G Western Digital Opperating systeem

I even tried to load the system to the point that it act like it freezed but then it still get through after fews moment. The performance is can't complain. It actually run faster than my friend's 3.2 loaded brand new Dell.
Basically the only thing stop the thing is leave it on unattended for half of day.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
bos update?

My guess is your machine is either hibernating (should not do that, since it is not a laptop,, but sometimes, Windows guesses wrong), or going into Standby.

Machines awake from sleep/standby in different ways...mine requires me to press the power button for one second (four seconds shuts it off).

Anyway, if the original bios does not properly follow the APM standard (quite common in systems built around 2002 as Windows XP was still quite new), manufacturers updated the bios to make certain they would work later.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Run alot better after last bios available but it was two year ago story.
I will check into the "hibernating or going into Standby" idea. Never think of that. Give me few days to play with it and I promise to get back here for result. It is very true that the machine was build at the time when P4 and XP just born and meet one another. And the machine just hate windows 98 and ME because it so pround of it self " build for XP" if you remember.
Be back in few days. Thanks

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Yehh I think it is the board it self.The only way I had it run well is have every thing shut down after couple hours. I look back and true enough, that board was highest performence form they had for that chip set and after fews month they throw out the same name board but REV2.0 and mine is REV1.0. After the new one came out they have mine board hidden deep in to support area........
Anyway, It is very good board except that. And I think we have the answer.
Thanks man. Glad to have chance to talk to you guys.