Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

weird email, suspect email highjacked?

• Please log in to reply

anna1

anna1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hello,
i've been periodically receiving the following email:

Sender:
Subject: 2

in the past when i first received this email, i opened it and then afterwards my account was highjacked. i then changed my password and my account went back to normal.

i guess my question is if anyone's received a similar email before.

and also, am i okay as long as i don't open the email and just delete it?

lastly, should i keep changing my email password when i receive this email even if my account doesn't slow down (as it did when my email account was highjacked in the past)?

anna1

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi anna1!

hello,
i've been periodically receiving the following email:

Sender:
Subject: 2

in the past when i first received this email, i opened it and then afterwards my account was highjacked. i then changed my password and my account went back to normal.

i guess my question is if anyone's received a similar email before.

The reason you get these wierd symbols is that the message is most likely written in another language and you don't have that language pack installed on your computer. These types of email are always spam, so just delete it

and also, am i okay as long as i don't open the email and just delete it?

As long as you don't open them, or have them appear in the preview pane of outlook/outlook express you should be fine. If you use a free email account, like hotmail or yahoo, then just check the box next to the email and delete it immediately upon seeing it when you check your email.

lastly, should i keep changing my email password when i receive this email even if my account doesn't slow down (as it did when my email account was highjacked in the past)?

I wouldn't worry about changing your email password all the time when you receive these types of emails, but periodically changing your email password is always a good thing. I change mine about twice a year. I do this for my main email account. My junk email accounts, like my hotmail accounts, I don't even bother changing the email password because I could really care less what happens to them. :tazz:

Hope that answered your questions satisfactory. If you have any other questions/comments/concerns, please feel free to post them.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 22 January 2006 - 06:17 PM.

anna1

anna1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks for the quick reply! : )