Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Toshiba Wireless Connection Not Working Anymore...help

• Please log in to reply

siredward

siredward

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Toshiba a75-s211. My wireless connection wasn't working too well about a week ago (I think it may have even been infected with Winfixer) and I decided to just do a recovery. So I went through the motions and restarted it all, when it first started up there was a RAMASST message concerning disabling a DVD-ROM function (apparently this is standard so the recovery CD can't be copied), but at any rate my Wireless Connection is bunk as it was before. I thought this would solve the problem, but it is the same thing.

I can connect to certain networks and not to others.
For example I am trying to connect to my unsecured DLINK which is literally 3 feet away with full 5 bars in the "network list" (which i connected to yesterday with no problem with an associate's laptop), but the only network that it picks up is a 1 bar Private Network which is also unsecured.

No matter what there is a 100% receieved packet loss when I ping google.com. For example I am looking at the "Wireless Network Connection Status" window and it shows 2,729 packets sent and 14 received. I'm not sure if this is the right area for this post, if not I apologize and mod please move for me, but I am not sure what information/log files that I should display here.

Thank You,
Edward

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi siredward! Welcome to G2G!

Please download WinsockXPFix. Save it to a location you will remember. Once it's downloaded, close all open windows, including browser windows. Then locate the file you downloaded and double-click it to run it. In the new window that appears, click the FIX button and once it's done it will ask you that you need to reboot, just click OK and your computer will reboot itself.

Once your computer has rebooted, try connecting to your DLINK and see if you can ping www.google.com.

Fenor

siredward

siredward

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for the speedy reply, I tried the FIX but to no avail. I tried to ping google and got the same "Request timed out." messages come up and I get an overall a 100% packet loss (or DON'T get in this case :tazz:. I try to connect to working wireless networks and the "Repair Wireless Network Connection" window pops up. It says :

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed : Connecting to the wireless network

for assistance, contact the person who manages your network"

I dealt with Toshiba techs for a lil bit and went through a few ipconfig tests/resets and a couple other tests where he came to the conclusion that it's the hardware. I can accept it's the hardware and I'm in a protection plan so that is no problem, but I don't understand why it can send and why I can still "connect" to certain networks even though I receive little to no packets. If there are any logfiles or any extra information you would like please let me know.

Thank You,
Edward

ps Can Adware/Malware still affect my system after a factory restore?

Edited by siredward, 22 January 2006 - 08:06 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please to go START-->RUN and type cmd. In the new window that appears, please type the following exactly:

ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt

This will save your ipconfig information to file ipconfig.txt and it will be located in your base C: directory. Locate the file created and copy and paste the contents in your reply. IF THE IP ADDRESS LISTED DOESN'T START WITH 192.168.X.X THEN PLEASE PUT X'S IN THE SPOTS FOR THE LAST TWO SETS OF NUMBERS SO YOU WOULD GET SOMETHING LIKE 24.152.X.X MAKE SURE TO DO THE SAME FOR THE DNS SERVER AND DEFAULT GATEWAY

Fenor

siredward

siredward

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Here is what I get while connected to the 1 bar Private Network which is unsecured.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Portable-Ed

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-67-FC-A5

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5005GS Wireless Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-F5-59-56-3F

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.XX.XX

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.XX.X

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.XX.X

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:54:57 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 23, 2006 7:54:57 PM

This is what I get while my wireless switch is on but not connected to any network:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Portable-Ed

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-67-FC-A5

Thank You,
Edward

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please show me what it looks like when you are connected to your home network.

Fenor

siredward

siredward

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
If by home network, you mean what shows up when my laptop is connected to my desktop, it actually never connects to that one for some reason. My home network connection being the connection I spoke of with 5 bars and 3 feet away.

If you mean what my desktop reads :

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : edscomputer

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : cfl.rr.com

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cfl.rr.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-2A-71-61

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 22, 2006 6:35:42 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 29, 2006 6:35:42 PM

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried to manually set the IP Address, Subnet, Default Gateway and DNS Server for the laptop?

Fenor

siredward

siredward

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no I haven't tried that yet. do it through windows or is it set up through dos?

Thank You,
Edward

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Right-click MY NETWORK PLACES and select PROPERTIES. In the window that appears, right click on your wireless connection listed and choose PROPERTIES. On the GENERAL tab, highlight TCP/IP and click on the PROPERTIES button. In the new window that appears, make sure you are on the General tab. Click the Use the following IP address radio button and for the IP Address enter 192.168.0.115 for the Subnet Mask enter 255.255.255.0 and for the Default Gateway enter 192.168.0.1. Now click on the radio button for Use the following DNS server addresses. For the Preferred DNS Server enter 192.168.0.1. Then click OK to close that window and OK to close the other window. Now try to connect to your wireless network.

Fenor

siredward

siredward

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
been a while since I could get back on, but just wanted to say thank you for your help. It turned out that the wifi card fried itself and I had to ship it back for a new one. DOLT!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
At least you figured out what was wrong. Hopefully it was still under warranty and you didn't have to pay for the replacement...

Fenor