Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wallpaper won't show on desktop

• Please log in to reply

samanthafrost

samanthafrost

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I can change my desktop to display any color I want. But no matter how many times I "apply" a picture (even one that came as a default background) no image will display on my desktop. What can I do to get the images to display instead of the color?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi samanthafrost! Welcome to G2G!

Right-click on the desktop and choose PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears (labeled DISPLAY PROPERTIES) click on the DESKTOP tab and then click on the CUSTOMIZE DESKTOP button. In the new window that appears (labled DESKTOP ITEMS) click on the WEB tab. If there is anything listed in the WEB PAGES text box that has a checkmark in the checkbox associated with it, uncheck the box. If there is anything listed there other then MY HOME PAGE, highlight it and click the DELETE button. Click the OK button. You should now be back to the DESKTOP tab in DISPLAY PROPERTIES. Choose one of the items listed in the BACKGROUND list box and click APPLY and then OK. Did the desktop wallpaper change?

Fenor

samanthafrost

samanthafrost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I went to the "Web" tab, like you said, and there was an unchecked box for "my home page". That's it.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please right click this LINK, choose SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS, and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember where it is located. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\wallpaperenable.reg to the registry? Then reboot your computer and once it's rebooted, try to change the wallpaper.

Fenor

samanthafrost

samanthafrost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you SO much! As soon as I finished the reg install, my background came back. Poof! It didn't even wait for the restart. :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
NIIIIIIIICCCCEEEEEEEE!!!!!! :tazz:

Fenor

mtpeebs

mtpeebs

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Please right click this LINK, choose SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS, and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember where it is located. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\wallpaperenable.reg to the registry? Then reboot your computer and once it's rebooted, try to change the wallpaper.

Fenor

I tried to save target as but saved as a txt file ??? can you help me Thanks!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: mtpeeba

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other issues that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello mtpeebs...

If the file name came out looking like wallpaperenable.reg.txt, right click on it, choose "Rename", and remove the .txt from the end. Then click a clear area to set the change and you should be left with a reg file named wallpaperenable.reg...which is what it needs to be to merge with the registry.

Might as well update the instructions a little as the newer browsers will add an additional .txt file extension.

wannabe1

mtpeebs

mtpeebs

• Pip
  • 3 posts
rshaffer61- my apologies for the fopaw in posting I appreciate the corrective information

wannabe1- Thanks for the good information!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem mtpeebs. I only post that because of past experience and it does get a little confusing for both us and you. I meant only to inform you :)