Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound suddenly stopped

• Please log in to reply

Chamelion

Chamelion

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Alright. I have no idea what happened, but I was browsing the itnernet when the sound suddenly stopped. I checked the Speaker settings and it seemed fine but there was still no sound.

I restart the computer adn check the sound, and now it's displayed as "No Audio Device" and I have no idea what to do. I'm using a standard Windows XP computer with no special sound cards, and the ones in the Hardware device are as follows:

-Audio Codecs
-Legacy Audio Drivers
-Legacy Video Capture Devices
-Media Control Devices
-Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device (manufactured by Microsoft)
-Video Codecs

Aside from the Unimodem one, all the others have an unknown manufacturer, but they all are working fine. What should I do?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Panic.

Seriously though, use System Restore to roll it back a couple of days to when the sound was working.

Find this in Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.

If there is no sound after using System Restore., it may well be that the sound chip on the motherboard inside the computer has blown. If that is the case then you'd need to buy a separate sound card.

Chamelion

Chamelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
It's probably the sound card, then. Boht my dad and I did the System Restore (my dad twice) and it still wasn't detected. We probably do need a new sound card but for one thing I don't know where to locate the old one in the CPU unit :/

(It' a Gateway, if that helps.)

Chamelion

Chamelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Never mind. My dad found it but he told me that the sound card is connected to the motherboard :/ so now I have no idea what to do. My dad tried reinstalling it, then reinstalling XP, and neither one worked. Any other suggestions?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Just buy a PCI sound card (any half decent computer shop will know what you're on about), take the side off the case and put it in any one of the white slots.

Or ask the person at the shop to do it for you, most should do it while you wait. Even the cheapest sound card they've got will do as it actually plays sound which is more than yours does at the moment :tazz:

Chamelion

Chamelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Can't do that. All the slots are occupied by a card (one modem, one graphics, one something else I can't identifiy).

Basically I'm screwed, I know, but I'm tyring to figure out what made the Sound Card no longer work...