Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

power supply problem

• Please log in to reply

noor parkar

noor parkar

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
hi all,
my computer is not starting only.
i mean when i press power switch on button on the CPU
nothing is happening.
smps fan is not running. processor fan is not running..
i checked my SMPS power supply on another machine.it is working on that machine.
but i attached the same with the original computer it is not running.
processor looks fine.
also i attached another computer's processor fan to this one.it is not running only..because power supply fan is not runnng.(but power supply(SMPS FAN) is OK)
i know that SMPS is the first one to receive power supply.
then processor and so on.
but what is the problem.
please give me the solution.
thanks in advance.
noor

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi noor parkar! Welcome to G2G!

Alot of possible reasons why this is happening. Try some of these trouble-shooting tips:
---------------------------------------------

Lets have you try resetting the computer's BIOS. Please do the following:
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST 5 minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or the DEL key to enter SETUP. Do so and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup.

Try changing the power cord that you are using. Take the power cord from the computer that you know works with the power supply in question and hook up the computer using that power cord.

Try changing the power outllet that you are using. Could be there is a problem with that outlet that is not giving out enough power to properly boot the computer.

Take out all of the memory sticks that are in the computer and reseed them. If you have more then one stick of memory, try having only one stick of memory in and try to boot up the computer. Try this using each stick seperately to rule out bad ram.

If you are comfortable with doing so, try taking off the heatsink and processor and then reseeding the processor and reattaching the heatsink to it. Then try booting up the computer.

Try disconnecting everything from the IDE cables (including the floppy drive if you have one), and try booting up the computer. If it boots up, then try attaching just the hard drive that has windows installed on it. If that works then try attaching CD/DVD-Roms, and so on and so forth...

If you are using an AGP/PCI video card, and have onboard video available, carefully remove the AGP/PCI video card and attach the monitor cable to the onboard video slot and try booting up the computer.

These are just a couple trouble-shooting tips that have worked for me in the past

Fenor