Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Western Digital hard drive

• Please log in to reply

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I recently bought a W.D. Caviar HD (250 GB). I have never used Wesern Digital because I have heard that they are not as versital as others. I got it on a really good deal! I installed it and when I went to fomat it, my computer told me that there was 131 GB of raw unformatted space? I have heard that you must do something to a W.D. drive to get it to recognize the entire drive. I never really paid too close attention because I don't normally mess with them. Can anybody help? By the way, in the CMOS my computer recognizes the drive as 250GB. Also, for some strange reason it installed windows on the drive twice? I have two operating systems to choose from at boot. Why? I formatted and installed once!!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi dnrflorence!

Let's fix your problem of two operating systems being listed when you boot up your computer first.

Right click on MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES, then click on the ADVANCED tab, and then click on SETTINGS under the STARTUP & RECOVERY heading. Then click EDIT next to the line To edit the startup options file manually, click EDIT. Copy and paste in your next reply here what is listed and I will tell you what to change.

Fenor

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Oh dude! I didn't know that you would be right here! I'm at work and my pc is at home! Sorry! I was looking for info. I didn't realize that would be right here step by step. Thanks for the gesture but I can't work on it right now! If you can write down the steps I will be home later and can use them. I don't access to my pc from here either (no access to pc anywhere). Is there anything that you can tell me that will help me when I get home?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Not really, don't want you to try deleting stuff from the boot.ini file when you don't know what it means. Could render your computer useless. Just post a reply when you get home and I'll try to check at work.

Fenor

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Cool man thanks! I'll get with you later! Thanks for your help!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
AS for your question about the hard drive, take a look at this link.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also for your hard drive, do you have service pack 2 installed for XP? From what I have read, you need to have at least service pack 1a installed for XP to read the whole 250GB, but after you install Service Pack 2, then the remaining part of the hard drive will become available to partition and format.

You can also check out some of the articles in the Western Digital Knowledge Base HERE.

Fenor