Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp - is it ok to disable a dll file

• Please log in to reply

confusedfox

confusedfox

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there,

brand new pc running windows xp. when installing existing broadband modem received message error running gspndll.dll, postInstall final.

This error message appears everytime computer re-booted or even when we switch users.

Have since bought and installed new router/modem so we can share broadband link at home.

Cannot uninstall modem which caused problem( error message is something like unable to find gspndll.logtrace)

As this file is probably not being used at all, can I safely take it out of the start up programs or do something else to prevent this error message.

If so, could you please provide some instructions for how I would do so.

MAy thanks for any help

Advertisements

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
What do you mean you are installing a broadband modem? There shouldn't be anything you have to install. Are you talking about DSL or Cable modem?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
confusedfox...through my research on gspndll.dll i've found a few references that suggest that this file may be malware related or taken over by malware...i'm still researching the file but in the mean time can you
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
was your old modem an erricson? (sp?)

confusedfox

confusedfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for all these replies.

PC is brand new desk top just unpacked from box.

No error messages when first turned on.

To connect to internet etc had to connect dsl modem (westell 36R305 supplied couple of years ago with BT broadband package)

Followed instructions, ran installation disk to install drivers, plugged in modem, rebooted and error message re gspndll.dll appeared before the computer had ever been connected to internet/email.

Modem worked fine despite error message, but have since replaced modem with a netgear modem/router so as to share the broadband line.

The error appeared as a consequence of running the installation disk supplied by the ISP. It seems unlikely that this would have had malware on it, particulary as the disk had been used to install the modem on other PCs without any problem.

Would be very happy to follow the malware removal guide, but seems very unlikely that this is the problem in this case.

The uninstall program won't uninstall this, and I had been considering doing a system recovery to the point before I installed the modem, but this seems a bit drastic if theer is a way to just disable the program at startup.

Thanks for help

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i only suggested the malware stuff because i saw one or two references to malware...so not a problem...

you could see if that stuff is loading at startup by doing
start > run > msconfig

then you can see if you find any reference to the old stuff under the start up tab...and disable it....

if you still have the old westell software you could try reinstalling then try to uninstall again

confusedfox

confusedfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your extremely fast response.

I do have the westell disks. I have tried reinstalling but am helpfully told already installed, and still cannot uninstall.

Have a second westell disk and tried to reinstall using this which was a complete disaster as it also uninstalled most of the windows XP functionallity ( ie no program would run, run box wasn't even on start menu etc, had to do a complete factory restore)

I then (stupidly you might say) decided to have another go at installing this westell modem ( it worked perfectly on my husbands laptop which also uses windows XP) and of course ended up with the same error message.

I have followed you start>run>msconfig route

and found

startup Item rundll32 gspndll
Command rundll32 gspndll.ll, postInstall final
location HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

do I just uncheck the box ?

I thought taht I was in a very scary place and just cancelled to get out of there

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah just uncheck that box...it should stop the error from coming up...once the service is stopped (i.e. once you uncheck that setting and restart)....you may be able to uninstall the westell stuff

confusedfox

confusedfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

Sorry about these repetitive idiotic questions but have another

Iunchecked box and re-booted

Received following message

You have used the System Config Utility to make changes to the way windows starts.

The Sys Config Utility is currently in diagnostic or selective startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to be run every time windows starts.

Chose the normal startup mode on the general tab to start windows normally and undo the changes you made using the system configuration utility.

"Unchecked box"; don't show this message or launch the system configuration utilty at startup.

Help -What do I do next?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
go ahead and check the box.....

now that you've started up after disableing that thingamajigger...can you uninstall the program?

confusedfox

confusedfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
no, still get same error

failed to find dll function GSPNDLL.dllLogtrace

however the error message on switching user has disappeared after disabling the gspndll program at startup.

As the error message is no more these programs don't seem to affect the running of my pc , so I have sorted out the main problem for which I am really grateful

Many thanks