Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is My Hard Drive Dead?

• Please log in to reply

bake

bake

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I have a message on my monitor that reads Disk boot failure install system disk. When I install the system disk I get a screen with the option to repair an existing setup or to install as new. When I choose to repair it says it is going to the recovery console but I get a path or file name error with a C: prompt. Attempting to install as new yeilds an error also. Using F8 will not give me a boot option screen. Thanks for any advice.
-Bake

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you get to the c:\ prompt through the recovery console type

checkdsk /f and let that run...it usually takes 45 min to an hour depending on drive size...DO NOT INTERUPT THIS PROCESS...just let it run till it's done then report back

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi dsenette, thanks for taking the time to help.

the comand checkdsk /f is not recognized. Should I use the comand chkdsk /f instead?

-Bake

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe yeah

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Still get a command not recognized. Should there be a space between chkdsk and /f ? When I insert a space there I get parameter not valid message so I assume not.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
chckdsk /r /f ....it's bugging me that it won't run

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
yeah it's bugging me also. Same results as before.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in the recover console

at the c:> prompt type cd windows then cd system32 then chkdsk /r /f

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
entering cd windows yeilds the same results

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
any other thoughts Dsenette?

Advertisements

jimbobway

jimbobway

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

any other thoughts Dsenette?

I had that same message before, if you were to install a fresh copy of windows, does it install all the way or stop during the setup? if so, then make sure that your ide cable is secure

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you type in checkdsk....i did mean to type chkdsk /r /f

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Dsenette

I still get a command not recognized message.

I don't know if it matters but, the last thing done before the issue came up was my daughter charging and unplugging her Ipod Nano.

Jimbobway

I have checked all the cables. All seem secure.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

let's try that...as it's an actual repair install...instead of the recovery console..

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
After booting with the disk in and pressing enter to setup xp I pressed f8 on the agreement. It showded at the bottom of the screen that it was analyzing the disk. The next screen that came up read as follows.

The following list shows existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

To setup XP on the selectd item press enter.

In the box below was this message.

58,642 MB disk 0 at ID 1 on bus 0 on atapi
<setup can not access this disk>

Pressing the up and down areas to try and select the above entry resulted in a blue error screen with this message

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

Technical information:
*** stop: 0x00000050(0xc1a79466,0x00000001,0x8080e788,0x00000000)

Things aren't looking good here. Thanks for your help so far.

One other strange thing, I tried installing two other hard drives (neither of which I am sure are good) just to see if it changed things. With either of them installed and the XP disk in it flashes up the HP logo then goes to a flashing dash in the upper left corner. It will not even bring up the XP setup screen.

Edited by bake, 27 January 2006 - 11:31 PM.