Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is My Hard Drive Dead?

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...05-719F45C382A4

Overview
The Windows XP startup disk allows computers without a bootable CD-ROM to perform a new installation of the operating system. The Windows XP startup disk will automatically load the correct drivers to gain access to the CD-ROM drive and start a new installation of Setup. You cannot upgrade from a Windows XP startup disk.

Advertisements

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Dsnette, good news, well kinda, The original hard drive was toast. The second hard drive was also screwed. The third hard drive is good and I loaded windows, updated it, and loaded my virus and spyware protections. Everything went well. My only issue now is that every time I start the computer I get a screen to choose an operating system. It list two XP Home Editions. So, I went back and loaded windows again doing the full (as opposed to the quick) format and loaded windows again. Still when I start it up it shows two XP Home options. What do I need to do to get rid of one of the installs? Thanks for your help by the way. It has been invaluable. You are Awesome!

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hey there, I went to the chat and Jwbirdsong hooked me up. Got it all taken care of now. Thanks again for your help. See ya around.

-Bake

Edited by bake, 29 January 2006 - 11:05 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thanks for letting me know bake...sorry you had to go to all the trouble...what did birdsong have you do to get it fixed?

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I had it up and running from the help that you gave me. Only every time I started it up it showed that there were two operating systems on the new (used) drive. The second would not actually boot so it was not really there. Just an extra entry in boot.ini. I just needed to delete the second entry. Birdsong told me how to open it in notepad and delete it.
-Bake

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
cool...thanks for letting me know (that's what i assumed was done)