Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics driver help!

• Please log in to reply

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok, here is the deal.

My computer had been working fine for over a year. I finally upgraded to SP2(Windows XP Pro) but my computer would keep auto-restarting after I upgraded. After multiple reformats later and the problem not solved, I decided I would stick to SP1. Just a side note, each time I would format, I would upgrade windows all the way to SP2, then upgrade the video driver.

I thought I had the problem solved staying under SP2. I did not have the graphics driver installed, and before I installed it, my computer did not auto shutoff at all. As soon as I installed the graphics driver, my computer started doing the same thing as before. Therefore I apparantly have a different problem than SP2. Could this be a driver problem? Or could my graphics card be going bad?? The only reason I wouldn't think it was the graphics card going bad is b/c my computer had been running fine before SP2(over a year), but ever since I tried upgrading, I can't get my graphics driver to work pre or post sp2(but I have been known to be wrong). Could it be something else besides my graphics card? Like my proc or memory?

here are my specs:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
P4 3.2GHZ
1GB memory(not sure of exact type, but can check later if you need to know)
Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB
2 WD HDD's
Sony DVD writable drive

any help would be greatly appreciated as i dearly miss my PC!

Edited by Doorslam, 23 January 2006 - 07:40 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it sounds like a driver issue to me....but if you wanna be sure

do this
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

then update to sp2 and put in the newest drivers....when your comp restarts..it should give y ou a BSOD

Doorslam

Doorslam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
BSOD?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
blue screen of death...it will have a stop code and description of the error that caused the restart

Doorslam

Doorslam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ahhh... I actually tried that once in between one of my formats. I would get a BSOD but I couldn't read it. It was all garbled and jumbled like someone took an erasure to it. I remember looking in the event logs and seeing some kind of crypitc log like. System error xxxxxxxx, from xxxxxx or something like that.

Do you want me to try that and post the error in the event logs?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if at all possible yes

Doorslam

Doorslam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hey dsenette, here are two errors in my system log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 1/23/2006
Time: 7:03:14 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DWARRENHOME
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
fasttx2k

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: fasttx2k
Event ID: 4
Time: 7:02:08 PM
Description:
Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: 02 00 00 00 c0 00 00 c0 ....À..À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

and i have some of these in my Application log:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event ID: 5603
Time: 7:03:47 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
A provider, Rsop Planning Mode Provider, has been registered in the WMI namespace, root\RSOP, but did not specify the HostingModel property. This provider will be run using the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests. Ensure that provider has been reviewed for security behavior and update the HostingModel property of the provider registration to an account with the least privileges possible for the required functionality.

I just upgraded my chipset drivers and am about to try my video drivers again, but have a feeling it won't work. Any ideas? I am in safe mode now as this is the only way it does not reboot.

Doorslam

Doorslam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ooo, this is interesting. I just installed the newest catalyst ati driver and it still blue screened on me. There are no new errors or warnings in the Application or System logs. But I do notice a new group above the Application logs named "ACEEventLog". Here is a few of them, they are mostly the same.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ACEEventLogSource
Event ID: 0
Time: 5:50:05 PM
Description:
0000000014: 2006-01-23 17:50:05:250 client Shell failed to initialize
Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Implementation.CLI::Main processID:01740 threadID:(CLIRuntime ) domainName:(cli.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Implementation, Version=1.2.2195.38497, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ACEEventLogSource
Event ID: 0
Time: 5:50:05 PM
Description:
0000000012: 2006-01-23 17:50:05:218 Null aspectList
Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Foundation.BCastes::Destroy processID:01740 threadID:(CLIRuntime ) domainName:(cli.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Foundation, Version=1.2.2117.25443, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a feeling this has to do with my problem!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fasttx2k is a raid driver...eventviewer may detect it even if you do not use it if you did not disable the raid function in bios

I think your other error is the ATI control panel, which requires the network framework to run.

Uninstall the ati in control panel and reboot into safe mode, run driver cleaner

from

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

then install the omegadrivers for you card

http://www.omegadrivers.net/