Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot find server or dns error

• Please log in to reply

MickM

MickM

• Pip
  • 9 posts
When I access a web page (any page) I often get a "cannot find server or DNS error" message. Then if I refresh (sometimes a few times) the page loads.

The same happens someetimes when accessing mail with Outlook. It cannot find the email server, but when I send/receive again it works.

I am using XP with IE6. All microsoft updates are up to date.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you describe how you connect to the internet?

MickM

MickM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I connect using Tiscali broadband. We have a home network (2 PCs) which uses a Netgear Router.

The other PC seems to have a similar problem, although not quite so noticeable - but then it doesn't use the internet so much.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...do you know if your router is set up to issue dhcp addresses to the clients?

on both machines do start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all then post the results for both machines (label them pc1 and pc2...pc1 should refer to the computer that caused you to post in t he first place..and pc2 should be...well duh...the other one)

MickM

MickM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
For the router, the DHCP is set as PPPoA. I don't know if this answers the question (I don't understand networks!).

Ipconfigs are attached as requested.

Incidentally:

Attached Files

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to networking forum.

ScHwErV :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
all the ipconfig jazz looks good....so let me think a little

the PPoE stuff is how your router get's it's ip from the ISP the DHCP i was refering to is how your router assigns ip addresses to the clients...which...your router is obviously set to do by the configs you posted

MickM

MickM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I meant to add that all has been fine (for a year or so) until a couple of days ago.

I have spent some time on PC2, and it is exactly the same problem. About 1 in 3 addresses fail but work on a first or second refresh.

MickM

MickM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've solved the problem now thanks.

The Router was set to obtain the DNS server addresses automatically fro the ISP. Unfortunately they were wrong for some reason!!
I've now reset them manually to the correct addresses and all's well.

Thanks for your help anyway.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
glad you found the sollution! sorry i wasn't more help