Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk Defragmenter

• Please log in to reply

ergenu2

ergenu2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Will do--and when i finally run windows defrag, Ill pull my cable connection and then block my anti virus and such..

Thanks
Jon B

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use SpeeDefrag to shut the PC off then run windows defragmenter when you boot the PC

ergenu2

ergenu2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I think you have lost me---so, ill explain..When I click on speed defrag, I check c drive, it then restarts and runs, when its done, it powers off the comp...My plan is to run speed defrag a few times, and then go into windows defrag after having run speed defrag a few times, and then analyze C drive to see if i need to defrag--if/when i do run windows defrag, I was told to shut down all spyware and such--so, to be safe, I unplug my cable connection and then shut down all spyware--just so i dont get hacked while Im running defrag..cool?

jon B.

ergenu2

ergenu2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
FYI--speed defrag is running very quickly, like my first few posts describe--like how it was running before you told me to turn off system restore..maybe we need to do that again?

Jon B.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you routinely use SpeeDefrag as the shut down method so that it restarts, defrags shuts down etc every time you turn the PC off for a few hours or so

Then each time you boot the PC, you run windows defragmenter, hopefully, it will keep getting further through, you could boot the PC to safe mode to run windows defragmenter and it should run OK.

To clarify, I was suggesting SpeeDefrag when you log off at night, and windows defragmenter when you log on in the morning