Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL vs Cable for wireless access

• Please log in to reply

SDSGEEK1

SDSGEEK1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My daughter (who is even less literate in computers than I am) is moving to a new (40 year old) home and needs to decide between Cable or DSL access in her new home. Three months ago she upgraded her Compaq computer (Win ME) with more memory, a wireless pc card and a xircon router so she could have wireless access with the DSL connection in her current home. 1) Can she use the same wireless card and xircon router if she chooses Cable access in her new home?
2) Will she need any other new hardware or software (besides what the cable company provides) to switch from her current DSL wireless access to Cable wireless access? 3) Will Cable wireless access be similar or better or worse than DSL wireless? I really appreciate any info or help anyone can give me.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome SDSGEEK1 <_<

1) Can she use the same wireless card and xircon router if she chooses Cable access in her new home?

No problem.

2) Will she need any other new hardware or software (besides what the cable company provides) to switch from her current DSL wireless access to Cable wireless access?

Probably not. Most companies will lease you a cable modem for a few dollars, or you can buy one for ~$50, or less after rebate.

3) Will Cable wireless access be similar or better or worse than DSL wireless? I really appreciate any info or help anyone can give me.

Cable is generally much faster than DSL, and often cheaper. Although DSL pricing has become much more competetive.