Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Computer & iTunes songs off of old iPod

• Please log in to reply

TimmyTwoShoes

TimmyTwoShoes

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've just bought a new computer and would like to find a way of copying all of my old iPod tunes onto it without having to recopy all of my cd's onto the new iTunes on the new computer. Is there an alternative programme that would be able to recognise the cd's that I put onto the computer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
itunes stores its info in your profile... c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\my music\itunes. you should just be able to copy that folder from the old system to the new one without to much trouble.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you cant do that there are thord party applications that do that kind of thing just google for them.

alexroa54

alexroa54

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
or.. you can go to "My Computer" click on your ipod click on tools on (your bar where File, edit view.. etc. are) go to folder options, view tab
and click on show hidden files and folders.
and now you should be able to see you music on your Ipod( they are on folders and the songs appear to not have their real names such as kna, and stuff) but just copy them to your computer and then when you are done don't forget to view again and put that check bos on do not show hidden files.

relentless

relentless

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have the same problem, but mines appears to be worse, in that System 32 of my old p.c. has broken, meaning there's a 50/50 chance i've lost all data on my p.c, and so the only way of getting all my songs from the ipod into my new laptop, is to do so via the ipod itself, rather than my previous itunes.

also, when plugged in, the ipod doesn't seem to appear in my computer.

The songs are showing up in i-tunes, but even when i fiddle with prefferences, it won't allow me to play them.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.