Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-ROM Drivers... >_>

• Please log in to reply

D3_Kamikaze

D3_Kamikaze

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay, this is quite possibly in the wrong forum, I just couldn't find anywhere where this fit, so I threw it in here.

Heres my problem:

I have a very old game on a cd that was made to run in DOS. I've been wanting to play it for years, but never could get it up and running. I recently tried to get it to work again, using a DOS emulator called DOSbox (Its like a DOS shell, except better, or something o.O). I managed to install it fine, but when I go to play it, in pure DOS or DOSBOX, it gives me an error on startup: "please ensure the cd is in the drive and you have loaded the MSCDEX driver".

Now, I did alot of research on my own and found that the MSCDEX driver is for DOS to recognise your CD drives. Its *supposed* to be in the config.sys (or autoexe, can't remember now) but it wasn't on my pc. I recently changed all my Optical drives, so this may have smething to do with it. I tried adding it to config.sys but to no avail, i still get the error message, though MSCDEX seems to load on startup now.

Thank you for any help!

-Kami

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Download the attached ZIP, this is a generic CD driver unit for DOS. Extract it to the root (C:\).

Make alterations to two files as follows (you may have some of these lines already). You'll find config.sys and autoexec.bat in the root of the drive, or just type in "sysedit" on the Run section of the Windows start menu.

CONFIG.SYS <-- name of file to edit

device=C:\windows\himem.sys
device=C:\windows\emm386.exe
device=C:\oakcdrom.sys /D:CD001

AUTOEXEC.BAT <-- name of file to edit

MSCDEX /D:CD001

Then reboot. You should see something very similiar to this come up on the screen if you press ESC on the first Windows bootscreen (I've forgotten the exact wording):

OAKCDROM.SYS
Device Name: CD001
Devices:  1

MSCDEX v2.25
CD Drive:  D (Device: CD001)

Therefore you should now be able to reboot in DOS mode and fire up the game to see the CD.

Attached File  OAKCDROM.zip   12.21KB   242 downloads

D3_Kamikaze

D3_Kamikaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately, it seems to not have worked.

I'm still getting the same error.

Here is what my config.sys file looks like:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DEVICE=C:\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:CD001

And my autoexec.bat:

C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\BOOTUP.EXE
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\ATITEC~1\ATICON~1

SET PATH=%PATH%;d:\files\crichri\sigmak~1\gimp\2.0\bin

MSCDEX /D:CD001

Am I doing something wrong?

-Kami

EDIT: Silly me... I had the cd in the wrong drive for that attempt -.-'. It seems to get past that part fine, but I am now encountering a new error. It consists of something like "Could not find somethingorother.xxxx"

I'm going to try a fresh install of the game and see if it works then. If you can fix this problem now, I'd be greatful. I will get you more information on the error in the morning, such as the actual filename (its really late here... time for bed!)

Note: the actual extension of the file seems to be .xxx or .xxxx . I'm just not quite sure what the filename itself was, though I will edit this post or make a new one with it in the morning.

Thanks again for your assistance!

-Kami

Edited by D3_Kamikaze, 23 January 2006 - 10:17 PM.