Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CAN'T FIND MY IP ADDRESS

• Please log in to reply

MBW

MBW

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Attempting to connect to PC's to share printer/files...only two computers, so using crossover cable plugged into network adapters.

Guest can't connect to host...

Guest computer shows error 777...con't connect to host modem not working properly (modem works fine when dialing into internet or using fax)

Host computer...Limited or no connectivity...says problem caused by no IP Address being assigned

Type in 'IPConfig' and doesn't show IP address...on either computer

Both Network Adapters show working properly.

I am not trying to use ICS...have tried that in the past with no success...just want to use printer/file sharing.

This seems like it should be a simple task...am I stupid, or what?

Thanks, MBW

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so what you are doing is trying to hook two computers directly together...by putting a crossover cable between the two NIC cards right?

MBW

MBW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for reply..

Yes, I have two PC's in same room with one printer. One has XP and the other XP pro.

I am trying to connect just to share printer...not internet.

Have Cat 5e Crossover Patch Cable connected to Ethernet Adapters.

When I try to connect get 777 message err on Guest Computer (Can't connect to Host Modem)

On Host...Limited or No Connectivity...says...this problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

Since last post was able to get IP Address by using 'IPconfig/all' command.

I have not had any success in any of my attempts to network...but can follow directions pretty well!

Appreciate any help you can give. MBW

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you do an ipconfig /all on both machines and post the results? make sure to label each as either pc1 or pc2

MBW

MBW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK...

PC1 (Host):
DHCP ENABLED.......AUTO CONFIG ENABLED
IP ADDRESS: 0.0.0.0.
SUBNETMASK: 0.0.0.0.
DHCP SERVER: 255.255.255.255

PC2 (Guest):
DHCP ENABLED......AUTO CONFIG ENABLED
AUTO CONFIG IP ADDRESS: 169.254.172.236
SUBNET MASK: 255.255.0.0.

Note: PC1 (Host) has NetGear Ethernet Adapter
PC2 (Guest) has Onboard Broadcom 440x10/100

Thanks, MBW

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
alrighty....on pc1 right click "my network paces" > properties > right click the ethernet adapter > properties > tcp/ip > properties > now set the ip address as 192.168.1.2 and netmask of 255.255.255.0

now do the same on pc2 but change the ip to 192.168.232.3 netmask 255.255.255.0

MBW

MBW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks,

I have set ip addresses and net mask
PC1: 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
PC2: 192.168.232.3 255.255.255.0

Tried to connect...same message on guest...err 777
nothing happening on host.

What next? MBW

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this is bugging me....by that error it seems like you're trying to connect to the other computer using a modem connection? that's not really possible

MBW

MBW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Baffling...The Limited or No Conn. err is not coming up on host anymore...the icon showing connection doesn't appear in tray anymore, either (on both computers)...not since entering ip addresses.

I have tried pinging...on Guest when I try to ping host...shows no connection to host.
On Host, trying to ping guest...shows timed out.

I ran NETSH DIAG GUI command on host and noticed that it lists Domain=HOMEOFFICE. homeoffice is the name of my workgroup. Both network adapters passed.

Looking at back of computer...green light by cable connection on host, but orange light on guest computer.

Thanks for you help, MBW

MBW

MBW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Don't know if anyone is reading this anymore, but problem is solved...

IP address for guest computer was wrong...entered 192.168.232.3 (host is 192.168.1.2). Changed guest IP to 192.168.1.3 and now working fine sharing printer and files....yeah!

Thanks to all who helped. MBW

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA that was soooo my fault...sorry about that typo mbw....hehehehehe man...you get enough numbers stuck in your brain...and they just come out through the fingers....i even remember correcting myself on the first ip when i was posting that...jeeeesus

MBW

MBW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No Problem! I appreciate your help and it made me do a little research and try to figure out what was wrong....you can't believe how shocked I was when it worked! MBW