Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need assistance with formatting a HD

• Please log in to reply

martinez7

martinez7

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I do not have a floppy so I need to create a bootable CD with Fdisk. I need to formatt and partition my drive to load XP. How do I make a bootable CD and where do I get Fdisk?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can use the formatting and partitioning utilities within the windows setup...just follow the instructions after booting to your xp cd

martinez7

martinez7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you, but my actual problem is that the HD has to be formatted before I do the XP install because any CD that is placed will run only until it inspects the hardware configuration and then it shutsdown, including the XP cd. What needs to happen is to partition and Format the HD, and then run the XP setup to reformat once again, which leads me to my original question.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So can you boot at all from the CD(have you checked that CD booting priority is enabled in Bios) and can you boot from a floppy as it may be indictive of another problem as you should be able to boot if you cant get further than the POST then thats something unrelated to the hard drive.

If you really want to wipe your hard drive then you can try deban it will wipe it clean, and then you can try the XP cd and format from that, but if it isnt booting thats pointless as if its not booting a CD or the OS then the harddrive then you cant do anything.

Also try resetting the CMOS.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i formatted an old hd on an old computer i was giving it away what OS are u using?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
if you are running windows XP this might help!
http://www.resnet.un...reformatxp.html

it will explain step by step how to re-format your hard drive if not google it thast how i found out how to do mine :tazz: