Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Part List for Computer Build; Need Expert Advice!

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok... I'll choose one of those. Here's a new question: The XFX can come combo with a 4400+ for 30 bucks off. Should I give in and get that instead of the 4200+ (I guess the price would even out given that the XFX is cheaper than the BFG)?

Its up to you on that the 4200+ would be fine. The 4400+ has 2X 1mb cache and is abit faster on the better core but its all up to you like I said. Has a price jump between them.

The 4400+ is the good chip.

Edited by jrm20, 24 January 2006 - 08:58 PM.

Advertisements

Leon05

Leon05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for everyone's input! This is, hopefully, the final build of the computer, including extras that I need. Any final input is appreciated of course. All linked items are those that have been updated/changed since original post.

Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

RAM: CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500SD 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface

Speakers: Logitech X-530 70 watts 5.1

Video Card: XFX PVT70GUDF7 Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card

Monitor: NEC Display Solutions AS900-BK Black 19" CRT Monitor 0.25mm Dot Pitch D-Sub

Power Source: Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, TUV, CB, FCC CLASS B, CUL

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Cooling: ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Copper Heatsink

OTHER:

Canon IP6210D 0012B001 12 ppm(approx. 5seconds per page) 4800 x 1200 dpi InkJet Photo Color Printer

Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2L-00047 Black 104 Normal Keys 9 Function Keys Ergonomics Keyboard Mouse Included

Microsoft Office Standard 2003 Student and Teacher

Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2

NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner

OCZ Rally USB 2.0 Dual Channel 512MB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model OCZUSBRDC-512

SENNHEISER PC 150 2 x 3.5mm Connector Headset

SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model MPF920 Black

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
the pc itself, the case and everything inside of it is all nice hardware.

That system will be nice man. LOL you got alot of extra stuff also I see.

Nice

That DFI motherboard literally owns and it pwns. Yes Pwns. You will be happy, hope you didnt spend to much lmao.

Edited by jrm20, 24 January 2006 - 10:40 PM.

Leon05

Leon05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
They're out of stock of the Western Digital HD I was going to get... This one is SATA rather than Serial ATA150... Is that still fine? About the same price.

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its faster, the SATA 150 is what is known as SATA I the one there is SATA II. its got a faster interface.

Edited by warriorscot, 25 January 2006 - 05:00 PM.

Leon05

Leon05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ah... I just remembered... aren't I missing a network card for cable internet connection? Can anyone help me with a link to what I need on Newegg? Am I missing any other vital parts??? :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ah... I just remembered... aren't I missing a network card for cable internet connection? Can anyone help me with a link to what I need on Newegg? Am I missing any other vital parts??? :tazz:

No,

Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset Vitesse VSC8201 Gigabit Phy

It has built in lan card for cable/dsl..

Leon05

Leon05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, so I think I'm going to go all out on this... Here's what I'm changing now:

SAPPHIRE 100149 Radeon X1900XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card ... I guess it's not too bad (price), only a bit more than GT/GTX and seems A LOT better...
However, will it still be compatible with everything? Will I need better cooling? Also, is Sapphire a good company? Hadn't heard of them before.

How's this motherboard to go with it?
DFI LanParty UT RDX200 Cross-Fire Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire AMD Motherboard Seems that it is the same as previous mobo except it is cheaper and it is ATI-oriented... however, it also does not have any SATA II slots... so will the WD SATA II HD I have picked out work with it?

Also, going with an LCD:

ViewSonic VA902b Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor 270 cd/m2 550:1 0.294mm Pixel Pitch ... Just hoping for no dead pixels!

Everything else remains the same as posted below...

Any thoughts?
Thanks for your continued help!

Edited by Leon05, 30 January 2006 - 11:06 PM.

-=Mr B=-

-=Mr B=-

• Pip
  • 3 posts
As i see nobody pointed it out, you just might be able to get a better deal on a Opteron socket 939, model 175. Its the same spec cpu, and they will perform alike. Since its not mentiond, i assume your not going to overclock, so the higher clockability of the Opteron is nothing you want to pay extra for, but you should still check to see what cpu is cheaper X2 4400+, or Opteron 175, when you put your order.

Best of luck.
B!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The mobo doesnt, what i would do is forget the crossfire and get a single slot nf4, as nf4s dont have crossfire but they are slighty better in terms of peripheral controls, and with a card like that you wont need to add another anytime soon and by the time you get round to it DX10 will be out and youll want one of the dx10 cards.

Advertisements

Leon05

Leon05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
warriorscot, could you please recommend a mobo on newegg that is nf4, has SATA II slot for HD, and is compatible with X1900XT graphics card? Show me the best one and I'll go from there.

Thanks.

-=Mr B=-

-=Mr B=-

• Pip
  • 3 posts
There is no compatability issues with a Ati PCI-E Radeon X1900XT graphics card, with any motherboard that supports 8x, or 16x PCI-E graphics cards. aka, the nForce one you had lined up would do just fine.

B!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah any of the nf4s ati cards dont need anything special that nvidia ones do, its only for two cards they need the extra, although technically crossfire would work on SLI boards if only nvidia would let the bios revisions be made to allow it, but they never will.

The DFI board or the ABIT fatality or my favourite the MSI neo4 platinum, all are nforce 4 ultra motherboards and all have some feature or features to put them on the top of the crowd. Any of them would work, although if you are going nf4 you can save money and just get a single slot solution it will mean you have the extra pci-e x4 slot(pretty useless at the moment but new cards are coming like physx cards and some of the x-fi that will use it) and you get 1 - 2 more pci slots. But sometimes you are almost as well going for the SLI as they can have something extra like the Fatality comes in both versions but the sli has the fan controller and cmos reset panel.