Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new to computer building

• Please log in to reply

jp575

jp575

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi, I have a 3 year old desktop, and I think that its time to get a new computer. I've heard a good computer can be built cheaper than buying one. I'm looking for a good well rounded home computer, I want it to be powerful enough to be able to play games without freezing up or lagging. Is it possible to build one for around 800-1000 dollars? I would really appreciate some advice, is it possible to show me a few links on where to get the hardware as well?

thank you for your imput

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi, I have a 3 year old desktop, and I think that its time to get a new computer. I've heard a good computer can be built cheaper than buying one. I'm looking for a good well rounded home computer, I want it to be powerful enough to be able to play games without freezing up or lagging. Is it possible to build one for around 800-1000 dollars? I would really appreciate some advice, is it possible to show me a few links on where to get the hardware as well?

thank you for your imput

Yes you can build a pc under $1,000 for a good gamer.

www.newegg.com for a good company that sells all computer components.

Get an amd cpu of some type on the socket 939. Right now I wouldnt get anything slower than a 3700+ san diego on a single core. If you want future proof an amd dual core x2 3800+ would be the best deal.

On a video card do NOT get anything below a 6800gs by nvidia or a x800gto by ati since you are a gamer and they have the best price range for the best performance. Around $180-$210 for that.

For memory get corsair. Their value select ram is fine but if you are a hardcore gamer look into the xms series ram. For a harddrive look into a 160gb - 250gb serial ata of some sort, the sata 150 are still fine.

For a motherboard look into dfi,abit,msi,some gigabyte boards are fine.

Look for a good case without a powersupply included because the powersupplies that come included are junk and cheap and usually burn out.

For a good powersupply look into antec, thermaltake, ocz, enermax and make shure it is supported by the right pins for your motherboard.

jp575

jp575

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
thanks alot for the fast reply! I don't know anything about building computers, so do you know any specific parts that I need? If you have the time, it would be great if you could show me the the exact products that I need. I play games on the computer, but not so much that I need the higher end stuff. I just want to be able to play it with out lagging and at a nice graphics setting.

thanks for the help

jp575

jp575

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
hey would you mind recommending some links to the parts, or a list of them because I'm not exactly sure which parts are compatable and such. I just want a well rounded computer, good for some games and some video editing. If you can, please help me pick out the parts I need.

thank you

jp575

jp575

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
What would be a realistic price range for a good video editing computer? Hopefully still around 800, is this possible?

Links to product parts if avaliable?

jp575

jp575

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
how much would it cost to get a computer with these parts?

Windows
Intel® Pentium® 4 1.4GHz processor for DV (Pentium 4 3.4GHz processor for HDV; dual Intel Xeon™ 2.8GHz processors for HD; SSE2-enabled processor required for AMD systems)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 2
512MB of RAM (1GB required when running multiple applications and when using Adobe Dynamic Link; 2GB required for HDV and HD)
21GB of available hard-disk space for installation (additional 10GB recommended for After Effects disk caching)
Dedicated 7,200RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD
1,280x1,024 video display with 32-bit color adapter
DVD-ROM drive required for installation
DVD+-R burner required for DVD creation
CD-RW drive required for audio CD creation
Microsoft DirectX-compatible sound card (multichannel ASIO-compatible sound card required for surround sound support)
OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 video interface card for DV and HDV (AJA Xena HS for HD)
QuickTime 6.5 software required to import/export QuickTime files
For Adobe® PostScript® printers: PostScript Level 2 or PostScript 3™
Internet or phone connection required for product activation and Internet-related services
Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos (The Adobe Stock Photos service may not be available in all countries, languages, and currencies and is subject to change. Use of the service is governed by the Adobe Stock Photos Terms of Service. For details, visit Adobe Stock Photos.)
For OpenGL support: Adobe After Effects supported OpenGL 2.0 card (Nvidia recommended). For a current list, visit the OpenGL cards page.
Adobe-recommended graphics card required for GPU-accelerated playback (see complete compatible hardware listing).
Standard edition
Windows
Intel Pentium 4 1.4GHz processor for DV (Pentium 4 3.4GHz processor for HDV; dual Intel Xeon 2.8GHz processors for HD; SSE2-enabled processor required for AMD systems)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 2
512MB of RAM (1GB required when running multiple applications and when using Adobe Dynamic Link; 2GB required for HDV and HD)
10GB of available hard-disk space for installation (additional 10GB recommended for After Effects disk caching)
Dedicated 7,200RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD
1,280x1,024 video display with 32-bit color adapter
DVD-ROM drive required for installation
DVD+-R burner required for DVD creation
Microsoft DirectX-compatible sound card (multichannel ASIO-compatible sound card required for surround sound support)
OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 video interface card for DV and HDV (AJA Xena HS for HD)
QuickTime 6.5 software required to import/export QuickTime files
Internet or phone connection required for product activation and Internet-related services
Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos (The Adobe Stock Photos service may not be available in all countries, languages, and currencies and is subject to change. Use of the service is governed by the Adobe Stock Photos Terms of Service. For details, visit Adobe Stock Photos.)
For OpenGL support: Adobe After Effects supported OpenGL 2.0 card (Nvidia recommended). For a current list, visit the OpenGL cards page.
Adobe-recommended graphics card required for GPU-accelerated playback (see complete compatible hardware listing).

thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats not a list of parts thats a list fo suggestions for parts. A good video editing pc costs more than you have, but you can get a half decent pc and use it for vid editing for 800.

jp575

jp575

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
what parts then, do you suggest to buy? I have no experience in knowing which parts work together.

jp575

jp575

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
this is the computer i currently have http://www.pcmag.com...,1366815,00.asp

I should just get the supplies and build a new one right? or can i use some of the stuff in my current pc?

thanks

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You can use your harddrive and monitor.

Why are you wanting to upgrade from your current pc?? $800 is right at the borderline between pretty good and better. You could use your old harddrive or install it as a secondary harddrive.

If you spend $200 more you can get a so much better machine. Like I said $800 in the usa would be a okay system ONLY IF you put it together yourself. If you find a pc already built for $800 it will be cheap as the company has to make money for putting it together etc..

$1000-$1200 is still not alot for a machine. $1300-$2000 starts getting expensive.

You dont sound confident about building a pc so I suggest finding a really good custom built company that puts it together, tests and ships to you.

I will configure you a machine from a company. Its going to be around $200-$500 more because they install everything and put it together like I said but its worth it if you dont know how to build a pc.

Edited by jrm20, 29 January 2006 - 05:38 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
From http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/ you can find great deals and nice systems ranging from many price ranges. Thats a good custom built company.

Just something for you to go buy but you customize one on your own if you want. Dual core is the way to go now but I chose the amd 3700+ 64bit cpu. If you spend a little more you can get dual core.

Gamer Ultra 7500 SE (NO MONITOR) <-------- I started out with this system, its about the best one to start out with.

# *BASE_PRICE: [+979]
# CAS: Hot New! X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control (Silver Color)
# CASUPGRADE: NONE
# CPU: (939-pin) AMD ATHLON™64 3700+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+90]
# CD: (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER [+23] (BEIGE COLOR)
# CD2: NONE [-38]
# CABLE: None
# FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
# FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BLACK COLOR)
# FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
# HDD: 160GB Hard Drive (SATA150 - Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache -- Recommended)
# HDD2: NONE
# IEEE_CARD: NONE
# KEYBOARD: PS2 MULTIMEDIA INTERNET CONTROL KEYBOARD (BEIGE COLOR)
# MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE W/ WHEEL (BLACK COLOR)
# MONITOR: NONE [-209]
# MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)MSI K8N NEO4-F nForce4 Chipset SATA Raid PCI-E w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
# MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
# MODEM: NONE
# NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
# OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2
# PRINTER: None
# PRINTER_CABLE: None
# PRO_WIRING: None
# POWERSUPPLY: Antec TPII-550 550Watt ATX 12V Power Supply [+94]
# RAID: NONE
# RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
# SOFT: Microsoft® Works v8.0
# SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS ONE-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE
# SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
# SPEAKERS: NONE [-51]
# TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
# TVRC: None
# UPS: None
# USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
# USBHD: NONE
# VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
# VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 6800 GS 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD [+117]
# VIDEO2: NONE
# WIRELESSCARD: NONE [-14]
# WIRELESSPOINT: NONE
# ZIP: NONE
# _PRICE: (+991)

that one came to $991

Pick a computer to start out with and customise your own if you like. Cya

jp575

jp575

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
wow thanks alot for that list! If you say that I can get a better one for for less then I will put in the effort to learn how to build a pc. the reason i was wondering about upgrading or using the parts from my current pc is because it would be nice to have one general computer, and another just for media.

I think that after some research i can probably figure out how to put it together, the only thing is i dont know what parts to buy or if they are compatable with eachother.

i put together this list of parts, but i really have no idea if they work together or not..could you look at them and tell me if they do?

thank you for your help and time.

motherboard- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130484
video card- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814133155
power supply- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817103929
memory- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145486
processor-http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103562
harddrive- i can use my current harddrive right?
DVD Burner- could i use this from my current pc as well?

If these parts dont work together, how do you find the parts that do?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

wow thanks alot for that list! If you say that I can get a better one for for less then I will put in the effort to learn how to build a pc. the reason i was wondering about upgrading or using the parts from my current pc is because it would be nice to have one general computer, and another just for media.

I think that after some research i can probably figure out how to put it together, the only thing is i dont know what parts to buy or if they are compatable with eachother.

i put together this list of parts, but i really have no idea if they work together or not..could you look at them and tell me if they do?

thank you for your help and time.

motherboard- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130484
video card- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814133155
power supply- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817103929
memory- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145486
processor-http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103562
harddrive- i can use my current harddrive right?
DVD Burner- could i use this from my current pc as well?

If these parts dont work together, how do you find the parts that do?

Believe it or not that pc I configured from that site is actually a great deal for what your getting. You cant build one for less than that really. You might save $100- to maybe $150 if you built that exact same pc.

Dont buy the regular 6800 because it is poor performance for the cost ratio.

The 6800 gs is the best performance for the money and some of them start only $20 more than the regular 6800and almost twice as fast... see what I mean.

Your on the right track, with the one your picking out.

Edited by jrm20, 29 January 2006 - 11:20 PM.

jp575

jp575

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok, so you think the best thing to do would be to buy the custom ones? If i learn how to build one am i still better off with the custom?
thanks

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

ok, so you think the best thing to do would be to buy the custom ones? If i learn how to build one am i still better off with the custom?
thanks

The site I posted is the same kind of cutsom system, you just dont have to worry about putting it together.

Would save you time...

I like that company. :tazz: