Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New puter for my parents

• Please log in to reply

dinofh1

dinofh1

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Im not real good with slaving , I tried a few times and failed miserably, so here is my question, if i get one of those usb storage systems, and copy the files to it, then plug it in to the new xp puter can I just load them up to the new system, or should i take a cd burner and anstall it in the 98 burn the files and then load them on the new sys, or is there an easy way to take my parents stuff, and put it on there new computer. Thank for the help!!

Advertisements

pepsi man

pepsi man

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
If you have the windows Xp upgrade then that should solve the problem, or try installing from windows 98 ? just throwing idea's in the air.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
define files?

Yes, doing as you described in your first post works great, if we are talking files/

Moving programs is another thing.

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
pics and docs, I have to load ms apps on xp first, (new) mostly pictures and such, Mom mentioned she wanted to save her favorites, and email address book can that be achieved?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes.

Favorites are in a folder called c:\windows\FAVORITES in winme (sometimes, c:\windows may be c:\win or c:\winme)

The address book depends on what application she used for email--the email can also be moved.

What application does she use?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whoops, to move the favorites, you need to move them from c:\windows\favorites to

c:\documents and settings\{user profile name}\Favorites

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
outlook probably 5

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Do a search in winme for *.dbx...I cannot recall exactly where ME puts them

maybe

C:\windows\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{long ugly alphanumeric string)}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

If you cannot find them, post back and I will go find a winme machine somewhere

Copy these files to the usb drive

In Winxp, open

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{long ugly alphanumeric string unique to each user on machine}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Put the files in here to move email and folder structure.

on WinME, search for *.wab

Copy this file, named after outlook profile, to

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

on winxp

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ill give it a shot I have to buy the usb drive first, any suggestions on mb size for this particular project, cheapest is best, thanks.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
cd burner will work, too. (cd will hold 700mb so that would do it)

Size is determined by how much data you need to move.

Another choice,,,a cat5 crossover cable if the two machines have network cards, set up a quick workgroup and copy files dirctly by sharing th c: drive on th winme machine

Cat5 crossover cable will cost less than $10

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ya know I bought this usb cable thing called data link driver it has a usb plug on both ends but I could never get it to work, do you know whayt I am taliking about?? I have had it for 2 yrs, i thought it would be as simple as hooking them both up, and opening the program and drag drop files, but I never got it going. It has a small pod in the middle of the cable.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you use it with a pre-windows 200 machine, you will need a driver to install it in the non-win2k/xp machine

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have a disk, in any event I'll try it and let ya know how I make out, Thanks Gotta step out c ya later.