Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Delete password or 2nd admin acount

• Please log in to reply

pepsi man

pepsi man

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
For some reason when I go to user acounts it's say there is a password. Yet there isnt. When I start up the computer it logs in without a password at all. Plus my screensaver options have no option for setting a password. Just say's on resume display welcome screen.

Edited by pepsi man, 26 January 2006 - 03:10 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I do not follow you here? Where in user accounts? Who set up your PC.

Windows can be setup to log in with the password already set with utilities like tweakui

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Most probably the admin password...If you contact the people who built your system for you, they will typically have a standard admin password that they used. Otherwise, you can try the standards...

Usernames/Passwords: deleted (as per forum rules...sorry guys)
those 3 are pretty standard for bigger system builders, mostly to avoid confusion following sales, password can be blank, and username and passwords can be the same... (i.e. admin/admin)

Hope that helps

Edited by BabyTech, 26 January 2006 - 07:30 PM.

pepsi man

pepsi man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well I'm the one who set it up. I bought the computer used and put on Xp pro with Sp2.

What I'm syaing is I did not put a password on my acount at all. Thus reason it log's in right away. Meaning I turn the pc on and that's it I don't have to do anything else it goes righ into windows. No welcome screen where it would ask the log in or supply a password.

Yet when I go into the user acount's it say's guest acount off and then shows me a admin and says password protected.

It there was a password the following should show

1. Password option for screensaver - there is none
2. Have to put in the password on startup of pc. - Doesn't do that.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the lack of a password is still a password (just not a very good one). the password is just null (meaning blank)

btw, the account should be password protected and you are leaving yourself vulnerable if you do not password protect it

pepsi man

pepsi man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Nope. The password is not Blank. I tried that theroy already. :tazz:

Edited by pepsi man, 24 January 2006 - 03:48 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
tried what?

Did you log on to your administrator user account, and just hit enter? What did you try.

pepsi man

pepsi man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for the help somehow a password got on there. Mabye I did it in the past and turned it off ??? I don't know I tried a hunch of what this password would be and it worked. It's very wierd as I know for a fact I didn't put one on
I was messing around with the screensaver and went to put on a password. Who knows..

Anyway what I mean by theroy is I tried using a blank password and it didn't work.

It still will not give me a option of removing the password from my acount or having my screensaver prompt for a password when u move the mouse when the screensaver on.

Edited by pepsi man, 24 January 2006 - 06:00 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
by your description...you're saying the ADMINISTRATOR account...has a password....do you log in as ADMINISTRATOR? as in...the username that you use is administrator? or do you log in as something else...let's say pepsi man...?

pepsi man

pepsi man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yes I log in as "ADMINISTRATOR" I know the password now and have changed it. How a password even got on I don't know but like I said there is no option to remove it or have my screensavers prompt for a password either.

pepsi man

pepsi man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Now I can't delete the 2nd admin acount I made. There simply isnt a option.