Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Average GCard Temps

• Please log in to reply

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hello,

I haven't been around for a while... I recently built a new PC so my sig's PC specs only apply to my mother. Anyways - I've been noticing fairly high temperatures on my GCard's Core.. I'm usually sitting around at 40-50 idle but when I run a game it gets higher to about 80 (Celcius). Is this normal and healthy? Also; is the fan supposed to shoot air from the heatsink of the card or suck in air and shoot it onto the heatsink? I currently am using an ATi X800 XL graphics card and use ATi Tool for diagnostics (fan control, temperature monitoring, etc).

Thanks,
Matt

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hello,

I haven't been around for a while... I recently built a new PC so my sig's PC specs only apply to my mother. Anyways - I've been noticing fairly high temperatures on my GCard's Core.. I'm usually sitting around at 40-50 idle but when I run a game it gets higher to about 80 (Celcius). Is this normal and healthy? Also; is the fan supposed to shoot air from the heatsink of the card or suck in air and shoot it onto the heatsink? I currently am using an ATi X800 XL graphics card and use ATi Tool for diagnostics (fan control, temperature monitoring, etc).

Thanks,
Matt

80 is running abit hot for full load in games. 75 is okay but 80 is a tad hot. You might want to get some good case fans if you dont already or either buy a good aftermarket gpu cooler. (video card cooler) Stock usually sucks on all video cards so your not alone.

You should try and get it to run in the lower 70's and upper 60's atleast for full in game load.

Edited by jrm20, 23 January 2006 - 10:54 PM.

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

80 is running abit hot for full load in games. 75 is okay but 80 is a tad hot. You might want to get some good case fans if you dont already or either buy a good aftermarket gpu cooler. (video card cooler) Stock usually sucks on all video cards so your not alone.

You should try and get it to run in the lower 70's and upper 60's atleast for full in game load.

True that, thanks. I have a window fan that is pointed directly towards my gcard. The air flow is being blown at the GCard, though. Would switching the air flow around so that it sucks air from the case to the atmosphere help it? I've also had an idea of the thermal paste being worn out or not decently applied and thought of putting a new solution on. Any recommendations for good GPU coolers that will fit a ATi X800 XL AGP would be appreciated...

PS - ATi Tool might off blown my card off track when I was doing a artifact scan. The card reached to 90 celcius so I immedietly shut down and took my card out and put it by the air conditioning... The good news, though, was that I had no artifacts..

Some pictures of the interior (messy cables, too much of them - hard to manage!)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by FalloutYear, 23 January 2006 - 11:11 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Arctic cooler makes a gpu cooler for your video card.

Look on newegg.com

Zalman is good gpu coolers also.

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I'm having trouble finding a decent GPU cooler for my card.. Can you help me out please?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I'm having trouble finding a decent GPU cooler for my card.. Can you help me out please?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186129

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118117

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thanks. I think I'm going to go for the Zalman one. Couple of good cooling reviews.. Should I get thermal paste also? If so please recommend a good solution. Thanks again.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
From what ive seen of most of the x800s thats actually an ok temp mines can occasionally get that hot, and i know others that do as well, ATI cards are quite got for some reason but they usually dont seem to mind, a good cooler though is never bad.

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thanks.. Are you using a after market cooler? What do you think about http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118117?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
links broken, i dont use one as the model im after(arctic silencer) i can only find in one shop but its out of stock im waiting for more to come in. The zalmans are good but im not keen on getting one as they are big lumps of copper and are heavy and more expensive than the silencer so im holding off.