Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router dorpping hardwired PC

• Please log in to reply

valuenut

valuenut

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello people. My router has two desktops hardwired and two laptops working on wifi. AFter months of great performance, when I was trying to transfer 500 MB file from one computer to another, the receiveing desktop crashed. Upon reboot, no netwrok visibility on this unit. All others are fine. I tried, changing network adapter, reinstalled widows XP, changed wires, changed sockets. Nothing seems to work. All other units are working just great, w/o loss of performance including the one I am writing this note.
Btw, if I connect the busted PC directly to the cable modem, it works fine. It just doesnt like the router. Any ideas.
And, I was just able to send an email from the desktop that has no onternet access. It seems to me that there is a network set up problem that I have to fix but dont know how.

Edited by valuenut, 24 January 2006 - 08:15 AM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi valuenut,
That's definitely an odd one :tazz:
The first step I'd suggest would be to powercycle your system --
  • Power off your computer(s).
  • Shutdown / unplug your modem.
  • Shutdown / unplug your router.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Power on your modem. Wait until modem is completely restarted before the next step. This may take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your router. Wait until router completely restarts. This also can take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your computer(s).
Can you now connect the problematic PC? Run all wizards, disable all firewalls etc.

If that didn't help, then I'd suggest resetting your router to manufacturer defaults.
  • Power off your computer(s).
  • Shutdown / unplug your modem.
  • Press the reset button on your router, you may need to hold this down for up to 10 seconds -- wait for all of the lights to start blinking.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Power on your modem. Wait until modem is completely restarted before the next step. This may take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your computer(s).
Any change?
(*Note: You will need to re-install all firmware.)

Edited by Dan G, 24 January 2006 - 06:33 PM.

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks Dan. I did the power off as you advised but still the same problem. I saw another fellow with similar problems and that was a virus of some sort. So I am currently scanning the system with latest Avast and then will do the reset of router.
What do you mean I have to reinstall all firmware? Sorry, I am just a kicker of tires. Hope I don't have to redo windows? I will report back after the reset.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Hope I don't have to redo windows?

No. You just need to get the latest firmware for your router, from it's website. However, you're right -- look for any viruses first. Alternately, you could restart your computer into Safe Mode with Networking, and then see if you can see your network, this would let you know if it's a software issue or not.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on both computers do start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Dsenette:
I did the cmd, ipconfig all on both computers and got exactly the same info on the screens for both. It looks like both computers can see the router and have the same Internet server names , numbers.
Yet, this one works and the desktop says"this page cannot be displayed" after few minutes of trying.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you post the results of both ipconfig /all

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dan G:
I finally did the reset on the router and the modem. Waited 2 minutes and then turn everyhting on. Still the same. Okay on one laptop but no access on the desktop. Btw, looking at the modem lights and status window on the network connection, it looks to me that data is going out but not coming in.
Now, I am unable to send email as well. Looks like there was a small gap when the previous email went. For some reason I am also seeing a picture of the laptop as shared docs on the network connection. Another gap in connection.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello valuenut,
Could you please follow dsenette's suggestion of posting that ipconfig /all --
Goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

What version of Windows is this computer using?
Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Also, you could try restarting your computer in Safe Mode with Networking, just to make sure this isn't a software issue.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

did the cmd, ipconfig all on both computers and got exactly the same info on the screens for both.

exactly exactly? like..everything was the same?

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sunil Vidyarthi>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DELL1150
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : budu3.on.cogeco.ca

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : budu3.on.cogeco.ca
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-43-63-B9-09
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.104
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : January 25, 2006 6:39:26 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : February 1, 2006 6:39:26 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Sunil Vidyarthi>

the other computer was the same

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

the other computer was the same

Just to make sure, can you please post the other computer's as well.
Thanks.

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dan G:
network adapter failed
dhcp server, dns search server and default IP gateway fialed
But IP address passed.

I ran the ipconfig on this broken pc and only difference other than the name of card was node type which was unknown in th ebroken pc and mixed in the working one.
thanks for the help guys but I am still totally confused.
I checked the cable again by using hte same cable on the working PC and it is fine.
I tried the safe mode and the problem is same.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
valuenut,
Can you please copy/paste all of the information from the components that failed. It would also help alot if we could see the ipconfig /all from both of your computers. It just helps us to see what's going on in your network.