Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router dorpping hardwired PC

• Please log in to reply

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
sorry for the delay folks, here is the ipconfig/all from the bad PC

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sunil Vidyarthi>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : sunilv
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : budu3.on.cogeco.ca

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : budu3.on.cogeco.ca
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-ba-d3-87-88
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday January 24, 2006 6:34:26 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday January 31, 2006 6:34:26 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Sunil Vidyarthi>

Advertisements

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,
I am still struggling. so decided to go back and giv e you a history which may help.
this is a 3 year old pc with pentium 450 MHz and was used as a direct connection to the internet through cable modem. had two network cards, one used to connect another pc through a crossover cable.
Recently I have been using it through a wireless router and perfectly.
All was working until I had a virus alert and deciced to scan and delete all infected files. (Could be i deleted files they were important). There was defintiely a change in network settings as I couldnt see the other computers nor the internet. in the network connections box, two entries appeared, one was cable modem and the other was unplugged local area connection. I reinstalled windows xp but still same problem. I tried replacing the main network card with another old one I had handy but then the whole pc went dead. Got it working again by throwing out that card.
Now I have the pc working and only one card, whcih was the one used to connect the other pc through a cross cable. Unfortunately no network through router only cable modem direct access.
Here is the question, is it possible that this card is set up in a different mode somehow so that it can only be connected to the cable modem not router??
Is there a way to reinstall the network card without yanking out of the socket as I am afraid I might damage the mother board connector which is what I suspect caused me the grief in the last card.
Or, should I extract the data from this one and buy me another box for 200.
thanks a lot, you guys rule for helping.

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I got some action by changing the longer cable with a shorter one. I had tested all the cables on the good computer but did not take the interaction of computer with cable in view. I am able to get to the net but the speed is like worse than the oldest dial up.
I am also able to see all the computers on the network and even use printer albeit very slowly with a lot of errors.
What does this mean?? Of course I have resatretd the bad pc a couple of times.
Btw I deinstalled the network card using device manager and used the xp's features to reinstall. No diff.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's odd...changing the cable made it work? there's a possibility that your router is going out..or maybe just that ethernet port on the router...also possibly the nic card..

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
we are missing something. dont forget, when i connect the nic to the cable modem, the link is as it ever was, fast and error free. So it has to do with the router combined with this nic and or long cable. The cable switchover is better but no where near acceptable, I cant print anything without waiting for five minutes. the signal is just not getting through.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the best way to test would be to have another router to throw into the mix....as that is generally a difficult thing to come by...that's gonna be a little hard

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i would go and buy another router but we have two wireless and one other hardired pc humming along on this router. Yet this pc cant do it even if it is th eonly one i connect to the router.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
even if you connect it to all ethernet ports on the router right?

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yes, ports not important.

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So, I got myself a $100 pentium box and connected to the same port with the same wire and router and its flying. I still like to get the other one working as I have all my data info, two nice cd writers and fax. So any ideas please send. As it stands, pc will talk to th e world but not to my router.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello valuenut,
Check to make sure that the old box is using the same type of Full/Half Duplexing etc as your new box.

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
hi dan:
how do i check for that duplex/half thingy. i remember doing that but years ago. please remind me. thanks

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click your Local Area Connection --> Select Properties --> Press the Configure... button --> Select the Advanced tab --> Under Property, select Media Type --> Now you'll see the Value: -- this will tell you what Duplex it is set at. You should make sure it is the same as the other Box.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also..if possible...try the nic card from the pentium machine in the other one...

valuenut

valuenut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
unfortunately the new used pentium is running on win 2000 and that one has an auto detect on duplex. so thats comparing apples and oranges. in the mean time my network is running like charm even with cables 50 ft long and transferring almost 1 gb data across.
next stop put th emotherboard, hd and nic from the working pc into the old one and go.
i will reassemble the old mothercard with the old nic and a new hard drive just for the heck of it.
thanks a bunch for your help guys. we tried. i will post if i have isolated the problem.