Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ever-lasting battle AMDvsIntel which one is better?

• Please log in to reply

sigfrid

sigfrid

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi hi there , i wanna know your opinion 'bout the to giants of the processors, which one is better and why
(i am with amd, i have my reasons), so, contribute please, and leave what u think.:tazz:

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Depends what exactly the chips is going to be used for.

Amd overall is the better choice because they can push out more power with a lower operating frequence and you do get your moneys worth and more bang for your buck.

I still like intel pentium 4 chips. (Single core pentium 4 chips) are good quality and they will run anything you throw at it especially the prescott cores with 1mb or 2mb cache. The single core pentium 4 will multi task alot better than an amd xp or amd 64 bit would on a single core. "not dual core of course"

I like both makers and im not for one or the other. I like them both!! lol I just get the best deal and performance at the time or the best chip for what im going to be doing with it. I have an intel pentium 4 right now and I run everthing on it and it does not hiccup at all in games, with the right video card and memory.

Right now between the dual cores in the gamers perspective amd dual core x2 chips are better.

Intel excells at multimedia / music making. Especially the intel dual cores, that is what its mainly for a mid end workstation for intensive applications.

Celerons and semprons are junk and I would not have either ever!

Opterons by amd are good known server chips. They now have opteron dual core chips that the mainstream power user is buying to play games on because you end up saving money rather than buying the top end 4800+ x2 or the fx-57/fx-60.

Check out the opteron 165 series dual core cpu. Best bang for the money if you are looking for a power user chip for games and everything.

Intel xeons are good for servers mainly and they are the most popular seen for the massive multiplayer hosted game :tazz: servers rented by many, including me.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im more biased than jrm, i love games when i have the time and games love AMD, im also a stingy person so the cheaper the better so again AMD, and im sometimes an ethical shopper so i dont like intels marketing policies. Although intels are good for multimedia apps, i do know this though all the best game servers use dual opterons although that might just be a coincedence.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I am with AMD. Like WarriorScot, I game too much to like Intel. Intel's dualcore solution is getting pummeled by AMD and Athlon 64s that as are good as some P4s cost much, much less. They are better for gamers and power users. I also agree with the ethics thing too. Some say if AMD gains a considerable margin of the market, Intel will have to jack up prices. :) But ever since the first Athlon 64 came out, I knew Intel was way, way behind. Amd forever :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Although the next gen of chips from intel might be better, AMD have kind of run out of ammunition this year not to much is coming out of AMD till they get the new laboratories and factory online.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Yeah, but the FX-60 is impressive and I can't wait to see what they do with the Socket M2.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
M2 socket isnt going to make any difference really its the chips the put on them the improvement from using M2 will be that the chips are 65nm not the socket actually being any better(its almost identical its real just a slightly modified 940 socket). Fx-60 is good but all the FX series are good, but its some of the new technology on the intel side that might cause AMD bother as they prepare the next line essentially they are giving intel breathing space to catch up, which they migh be able to manage with things like robson which drasticly improves general performance making it an excellent laptop chip.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I meant the processors m8 :tazz: Of course, Intel could come back specs wise. THe market isn't as ruthless as the graphics market, so Intel has room to change. The thing is though, AMD has more areas able to innovate, because they are not provinding processors for most prebuilt PCs. If Intel were to make a radical change, the corporations would probably outcry.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The opteron 165 series is actually a good chip. Hard to find benchmarks but there is a few out there on games, ya few. I saw abit of 3d mark and pc mark benchmarks on the 165 opteron. Right now if I bought a chip it would have to be dual core but I may wait. The amd 3800+ X2, 4200+ and the 4400+ toledo all look nice in my book. I have been researching abit on the opterons lately and they seem to be good chips for the overclocker in mind. If you dont overclock then get a amd x2 dual core not the opteron dual core. I might just buy one of those opterons. I have been looking lol.. The 165 series opteron which is dual core, scores high on the 3dmark 06. Not a bad price at all for that opteron 165 dual core. They all went up alittle but not alot, because they ran out of chips so fast.. You can get the oem version for $300 I saw today. Thats the lowest price on 1/26/06 that I saw. It has 1.8ghz on both cores but the good thing is that you can overclock that thing alot and get up to the fx-60 speeds and you end up saving alot of money. Some versions of that opteorn 165 cant get all the way up to 2.8ghz but they all get darn close to it. You can get atleast up to 2.5ghz on both cores on any opteron 165 chip. At the 2.5 ghz your still doing good because your right around the amd x2 4800+ dual cores speed... Actually its higher because the toledo 4800+ dual core runs at 2.4 ghz. So, in the end you will atleast have speeds of the toledo 4800+ dual core x2 chip if you bought the opteron 165 dual core. You save $$$$$ money no matter what lol. Try and get a good reputable motherboard for the opteron because the thing is for that chip is to overclock it heavily. Get a dfi, or abit board. The dfi boards do wonderful with the opterons...

Ill probably get the opteron lol. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If i build a new pc this year ill probably be trying for opteron, mind you thats assuming i can get hold off one. Stick it in a nice DFI crossfire with some of that nice PC3500 ram from corsair.

Apart from switching to 65nm later in the year AMD havent said anything about any new chips, intel are bringing out alot this year, there is the yonah core for laptops and robson and a couple of others, they have finally decided to chuck the pentium brand name though on the new chips.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

If i build a new pc this year ill probably be trying for opteron, mind you thats assuming i can get hold off one. Stick it in a nice DFI crossfire with some of that nice PC3500 ram from corsair.

Apart from switching to 65nm later in the year AMD havent said anything about any new chips, intel are bringing out alot this year, there is the yonah core for laptops and robson and a couple of others, they have finally decided to chuck the pentium brand name though on the new chips.

I know for shure that the Dfi boards do the best for the opteron chips. The nforce 4 dfi boards do the best. The crossfire Dfi board would be fine also.

The guys getting over 2.8ghz have Dfi Mostly.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The Dfi borads are just good overclockers in general they go a good 100Mhz higher than the other boards without difficulty, its just on the nf4 boards un overclocked performance was a little poorer than the others and so needed to be overclocked to get the best from it which always put me off the DFI boards. They remedied alot of the little faults on the crossfire board so it performs alot better as a board in general rather than an amazing overclocker and not much else.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

The Dfi borads are just good overclockers in general they go a good 100Mhz higher than the other boards without difficulty, its just on the nf4 boards un overclocked performance was a little poorer than the others and so needed to be overclocked to get the best from it which always put me off the DFI boards. They remedied alot of the little faults on the crossfire board so it performs alot better as a board in general rather than an amazing overclocker and not much else.

The DFI boards Own lol :tazz: There is not enough you can say about them. They Pown, and they are really really stable boards. The Lanparty series is what im talking about. You will see warriorscot.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah they are very stable cost a bundle though, but unless you overlock them they arent as good mind you, you dont buy one of them if you arent going to overclock. They do look pretty as well if you have a uv light and a nice big window.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
AMD= Love