Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows logo testing

• Please log in to reply

tricoven

tricoven

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Has anyone also experiencing this problem? I know I do. I can't install Windows Media Player 10 and my friend can't install Internet Explorer because of the same problem. It says that the product has not passed the windows xp compatibility test, and it will negate the installation, and as you know, the is only one option given, and that is OK which means the installation process will be terminated.

Anyone knows how to get around this???

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Please go HERE (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer (not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
  • Click on Windows Validation Assistant
  • Click on the Validate Now button.
  • Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.
  • Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
  • Enter your product key then click continue
  • When it says "Validation Complete" please click Continue to return to your previous activity
  • Copy what it says and paste it here.

tricoven

tricoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'll try that. Actually, I went through this process when I downloaded the Microsoft Antispyware and I did..meaning my XP is not a copied one...The only problem is when my PC was bought, XP was already installed so I dunno anything much about the product key. :tazz: :)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
you should have a sticker on the top or side of your pc, about the size of a mailing lable. this is the certificate of authenticity;

Product Key

The Product Key is a 25-digit alphanumeric code that can be found on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker located on the chassis of your computer system.

http://www.microsoft...coa_retail.mspx for some examples.

tricoven

tricoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
yeah I've seen it. thanks, just got a problem with my internet explorer becauyse i deleted it and the only way to access it is type the url in a windows explorer but the internet explorer there have functions that don't work (one of them is the activex) because I deleted it...I deleted it because i used to have a low memory and it was pissing me off...but anyway, anyone can help me with this first? I mean installing IE6 again since the setup always detect the internet explorer and it won't continue, tried searching the IE in my memory but then nothing comes up..anyone got ideas how to get around this?

Thanks!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
yes we can help you reinstall ie6.

microsoft has instructions on how to do it: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=318378

Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Edit the registry and install Internet Explorer 6

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
Setup cannot continue.

To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:

1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.

5. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

6. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/)

By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers more flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to make sure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer.
Back to the top

tricoven

tricoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
thanks for the tip but it didn't work, no matter how I restarted my comp it's still the same. The values are now changed and I'm sure they are the right registry keys, but the setup still detects the old Internet Explorer.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
are you running service pack 2?

SFC is a good utility to run when you suspect that system files have been somehow corrupted. It validates the digital signatures of all of the Windows system files, and restores any that it finds are incorrect. To run sfc just go to start/run and type in "sfc /scannow. You will need the windows xp cd when you run this tool.

for more info on this tool you can check here: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=310747

tricoven

tricoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
thanks, so I'll just have to borrow an xp cd...I think this is my only hope to fix this problem. Since I also have a trojan and can't run activescan from pandascan because it requires active x and my current browsers doesn't even allow me to.

I also have a problem...I downloaded the IE 7 beta version, just maybe it can just do something...but no, the validation crap is still there, and the validation always results to an error, which is annoying me...

Argh! Anyway, thanks for keeping up with me, I'll borrow some xp cd and fix this crap.:):tazz: Thanks! I'll post here as soon as there is a development.