Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new system help needed! i'm semi-amateur, games+newbie-trance-

• Please log in to reply

torahtrance

torahtrance

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've been in the computer world since aged 12, and I left when my life went in other directions. For the last few years I have a toshiba satellite pro 6100, which is a decent laptop, but garbage for really doing anything.

The time has come for a desktop. :tazz:

Now my needs and situation is very specific.

I am gonna try buying each piece either based on froogle.com searches or ebay deals. I have a tight budget of if i'm lucky $1150

Now I'm a gamer, but I don't have much time for games, so its not the priority here. I don't care about FPS as long as its running smooth and that means generally getting 30+ FPS. I think a geforce 6800GS would be fine for me, but I am not so into the scene these days and I'm sure people here know the best balance of price/speed.

I run lots of programs at once, and I plan on doing video/sound editing, and using CUBASE, Ableton Live, and other programs (I want to learn how to make trance and plan on using this computer for that). So I think a quality sound card with midi features or whatever for adding a keyboard to do music editing in the future is something that must be considered.

I plan on using the toshiba laptop in conjuction with the desktop when i'm on the road. So if that makes a difference :)

Also I'm currently in Israel, so that means I'm trying to find hardware that has world wide support in case something breaks I would rather not have to send it back to america to get a replacement. A local european/asian distribution center would be great.

I think that sums it up! I hope you guys can help I'll keep all info I find limited to this post and hopefully it will be helpful for others in the near future as well :)

Edited by torahtrance, 24 January 2006 - 08:49 AM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I've been in the computer world since aged 12, and I left when my life went in other directions. For the last few years I have a toshiba satellite pro 6100, which is a decent laptop, but garbage for really doing anything.

The time has come for a desktop. :)

Now my needs and situation is very specific.

I am gonna try buying each piece either based on froogle.com searches or ebay deals. I have a tight budget of if i'm lucky $1150

Now I'm a gamer, but I don't have much time for games, so its not the priority here. I don't care about FPS as long as its running smooth and that means generally getting 30+ FPS. I think a geforce 6800GS would be fine for me, but I am not so into the scene these days and I'm sure people here know the best balance of price/speed.

I run lots of programs at once, and I plan on doing video/sound editing, and using CUBASE, Ableton Live, and other programs (I want to learn how to make trance and plan on using this computer for that). So I think a quality sound card with midi features or whatever for adding a keyboard to do music editing in the future is something that must be considered.

I plan on using the toshiba laptop in conjuction with the desktop when i'm on the road. So if that makes a difference :)

Also I'm currently in Israel, so that means I'm trying to find hardware that has world wide support in case something breaks I would rather not have to send it back to america to get a replacement. A local european/asian distribution center would be great.

I think that sums it up! I hope you guys can help I'll keep all info I find limited to this post and hopefully it will be helpful for others in the near future as well :woot:

A dual core amd x2 3800+ and a 6800gs or above and 1-2 gb of ram is all you need. :tazz:

torahtrance

torahtrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I notice you mention this in a lot of posts :tazz:

What about music editing? I plan on learning cubase and doing musical stuff in the future. I am learning the guitar now, and want to leave it open for hooking it up and doing lots of cool stuff :)

what about mobo?? I see you recommended for someone DFI LanParty UT nF4-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I have not been in the scene for a while, but I've never heard of DFI before! I had an asus in my last computer (p2 400mhz was my last desktop!!) and I recall some minor bugs/problems.

I like tweaking :) for instance I have the motorola e398 phone, and I flashed it turning it into an absolute beast!!!!

I like the idea of taking something, and tweaking it after reading some tutorials etc :woot:

It will be my first AMD as well :P

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well DFI is the ultimate tweaking board its the best overclocking motherboard on the market also one of the best looking it has UV reactive paint. MSI k8 neo4s i like high quality and reliable tweakable as well, Abit is also a good tweakable motherboard. Your looking for either an Nforce 4 motherboard(possibly SLI) or a ATI200(possibly crossfire).

A 6800GS would be a good choise, or an x1800 in Europe ATI are much cheaper than Nvidia so you might get some good prices mind you im not sure what its like in israel for prices i would imagine they have suppliers as good as anywhere else for parts.

X2 would be a good choice for what you want to do , it has two cores so it has true multitasking and multimedia apps like the second core as well.

Sound card, either something from the Audigy range(so a 2 or a 4 of you are serious) or something from the x-fi if you have the money.

torahtrance

torahtrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i need to find an israeli supplier.

the problem is that i'm from canada and used to canadian/american prices. For some reason here any computer that is half decent ends up costing people around 2000-2200US. That is very expensive! I am not sure the reason yet. But I want to move in with cheaper prices and still make some good profit if possible. This system will be my personal system, but its the one that I get sent out to ISrael to test the waters. See what complications I run into.

Thanks for the advice guys I am going to be looking into this seriously.