Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Blocking E-mail

• Please log in to reply

need help 2

need help 2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
Keep timimg out when trying to retrieve e-mail. I have braodband and run XP. Broadband tech's say problem is with Norton Anti-Virus. Norton has no tech support so I have turned here. When I disable Norton I am able to send and receive. My Windows firewall is turned off. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First -- if you don't have a third-party firewall installed (eg ZoneAlarm or similar) then you MUST enable the Windows firewall to at least give you some protection from hackers. You have already established that Norton AV is to blame for your email problem, not the firewall, so unless you are using the Norton Personal Firewall, turn the Windows firewall on! As for your email problem, go into the Norton AV options and disable email checking (I know you can do that 'cos I used to use it myself till I ditched it for being to pricey and too resource-hungry). Norton AV will still monitor your downloads for viruses even with the email-checking disabled, and you will still be able to check email attachments for viruses by saving the attachments to a folder and using the right-click menu on the files ('Scan with Norton Antivirus') before opening them.

need help 2

need help 2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the response. while I was waiting for help I set the Norton Firewall on the low setting and turned on Windows firewall and can now send and recieve. So both are on though Norton at the low setting. Is this enough protection though?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Norton does have an exception list...you may be better off adding outlook express to the exception list and settin firewall back to default

I cannot tell you how exactly to set an exception...look in the help file