Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logitech Mediaplay Mouse problem

• Please log in to reply

gkaye

gkaye

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
hey guys, im not sure if you can help or not but logitech's people are retarded

This is the deal I'm having a major problem when I go to unplug the mouse from my computer. No matter what I try, turning off the mouse, exiting the setpoint software, when I unplug the USB dongle from the computer it freezes. If I do a hard boot without the dongle in after the system freezes, it will immediately freeze once I get into windows. I've upgraded to the most recent software and nothing has changed. No matter what i do, uninstall, try old versions, windows will freeze if the dongle is not in. Usually when I unplug the dongle, the system will freeze after 2-15 seconds. It's almost like something is still trying to find it. Please help.

Edited by gkaye, 24 January 2006 - 12:22 PM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Disconnecting USB Mouse from PC
25th Jan 2006

hey guys, im not sure if you can help or not but logitech's people are retarded

Define [logitech's people] – Are Logitech Users – included -

This is the deal I'm having a major problem when I go to unplug the mouse from my computer. No matter what I try, turning off the mouse, exiting the setpoint software, when I unplug the USB dongle from the computer it freezes.

–

1- What are you referring to – [dongle] –
2- Why are you disconnecting Mouse from PC
3- Define [Freezing] – in your terms -

Need more info on PC -

1- What type of PC – [Laptop] – [Desktop]
2- What is Manufacturer of PC
3- What is Model Number of PC
4- What is Operating System & Service Pack Installed
5- How old is PC
6- What is Manufacturer of Mouse
7- What is Model Number of Mouse]
8- If USB Connected – Did you set BIOS – [Integrated Peripherals] setting – [USB Legacy Mouse Support] to – [Enabled]
9- What type of Keyboard do you have – [USB] – [PS2]
10- If Keyboard is PS2 – Is it connected to proper – [PS2 – Keyboard] Port -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 25 January 2006 - 01:11 PM.

gkaye

gkaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Logitech's People - Their tech support, they didnt listen to a thing i told them, then gave me a solution based on something that i was not doing

1. the dongle is the wireless USB connector that you plug in
2. When I want to go somewhere besides my desk to use my computer and dont want to take that chance of breaking the USB receiver or my computer by hitting it.
3. Freezing - pointer doesn't move, keyboard doesn't work, screen doesnt change, only thing to do is a hard shutdown and hard boot.

PC info

1. Laptop
2. Dell
3. Inspiron 8600
4. Windows XP Pro Service pack 1
5. Little over one year
6. Logitech
7. Mediaplay
8. I went into the BIOS to check legacy support but was unable to locate the setting referring to that
9. Keyboard is built into the Laptop
10. N/A

Thanks for your help.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Disconnecting USB Mouse from PC (#2)
28th Jan 2006

Ok- You have a – [Dell Inspiron 8600] with [WIN XP OS] - with [SP 1] & have a Logitech Cordless MediaPlay Mouse -

I am still not sure why you are disconnecting the Mouse –

When I want to go somewhere besides my desk to use my computer and dont want to take that chance of breaking the USB receiver or my computer by hitting it.

Do you mean – Disconnecting the –[USB Wireless Receiver] – from the Laptop – Because it is a – [Protruding Device] – So to safely move the Laptop to a new location – You remove the Receiver –

Ok – You should be able to do this – Logitech advertises this Mouse as being – [Hot Swappable] – However there may be 3 reasons for the Laptop – [Freezing] –

1- Driver is not Microsoft approved –
2- USB is essentially a – [Serial Port] – and is – [Susceptible to Serial Conflicts] –
3- Dell may have – [Some Internal USB Anomaly] – Inherent to the Motherboard’s Chipset –

USB Anomaly –
Are you able to operate – Both – [Cordless Mouse/Joystick] & [Internal Mouse] – simultaneously – Usually the – [Internal Mouse/Joystick] is a PS2 Device – and most Laptops permit this – However – Dell may not –

If this is the case then – The – [Freezing] – may be a Dell Issue – A work around plan/option would be to obtain an –[External PCMCIA USB Card] – This would provide an USB Port – Independent of Dell -

COM Port Conflict –

Possible Conflicts –
1- Internal Audio
2- Internal Modem
3- Internal Network/Wireless
4- Video

USB Host Controllers are assigned IRQ resources and generally share resources with – [AUDIO] – [VIDEO] – [Modems] – [Network] – Usually these devices are able to share without conflicts – but several Chipsets will have some Issues – [Sis] – [Ali] – [VIA] – Chipsets, in particular, have displayed conflicts with Video & Audio devices – And now with the newer – Wireless & Network Devices – are adding complexity to the equation.-

Laptops offer less options than Desktops to workaround these Anomalies – Try to reconfigure COM Ports -

Open –

1- Click on [Start Button] –
2- Highlight [Settings] –
3- Open [Control Panel]
4- Open [Administrative Tools]
5- Open/Expand [Computer Management]
6- Expand [System Tools]
7- Expand [System Information]
8- Expand [Hardware Resources]
9- Open [Conflicts/Sharing] Folder – Observe the IRQ Sharing
10- Open [IRQs] Folder – Observe IRQ sharing
11- Expand [Components] Folder
12- Open [Problem Devices] Folder – Observe
13- Open [Device Manager] – Browse thru –[USB] – [Input] – See any –[Problems] – [Unknown] – [Other] Devices with Yellow Warning signs –

You are not doing anything wrong – It is just doing something that is usually not done – except for your reason – It was probably only tested for [Hot Connecting] – So the only workable plan/option may be – Try an External PCMCIA USB Card – You can try another USB Port if you have another one –

You can Download the FREE Home Edition of Everest – and Attach the Reports in your Post – See Attachment for Link & Instructions –

Maybe I may offer you some other suggestions – After I review the Reports -

Jack123

Attached File  01_EVEREST_3F_Attatchment.doc   31KB   38 downloads

Edited by Jack123, 28 January 2006 - 02:24 PM.

gkaye

gkaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
First off, thanx for helping thus far

I went to reconfigure the COM Ports and I got to step 6-system tools but i could not locate system information under system tools all i have is event viewer, shared folders, Local users and groups, Performace logs and alerts, device manager.

previously i went into the device manager and have not seen any problems or devices with yellow warning signs.

in the mean time, here are the three reports from Everest.

Thank you again.

Attached Files

gkaye

gkaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK i was able to find all the system info that i couldnt get to before and I see no conflicts. I did see a lot of things on IRQ 11 including video and my USB ports.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Disconnecting USB Mouse from PC (#3)
30th Jan 2006

OK i was able to find all the system info that i couldnt get to before and I see no conflicts. I did see a lot of things on IRQ 11 including video and my USB ports.

Yes I saw that also – Plus the Network Card –

RQ 11 Shared Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

IRQ 11 Shared Texas Instruments PCI-4510 CardBus Controller

IRQ 11 Shared Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2

IRQ 11 Shared Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4

IRQ 11 Shared Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7

IRQ 11 Shared Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

IRQ 11 Shared NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 IRQ 11 Shared Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE
1394 Host Controller

Not sure if this is an indication of problem –

Memory 000A0000-000BFFFF Shared PCI bus
Memory 000A0000-000BFFFF Shared NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200
Memory 000A0000-000BFFFF Undetermined Intel® 82855PM Processor to AGP Controller - 3341

Memory FC000000-FCFFFFFF Exclusive NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200

USB is supposed to share the Resources - - - - - but - - -

Additional Questions – To base a – [Work – Around – Plan]

1- How many USB Ports do you have -
2- Appears that you have – [4] –
3- Besides Logitech Receiver – What other USB Devices do you have –
4- Do you have a IEEE 1394 PCMCIA Network Card – or Modem/Controller
5- Is Laptop on a Network
6- Can you use your – [Internal Mouse] – when the Cordless Mouse is connected –
7- Do you have – [Sleep Mode] – Enabled –
8- And do you have the – [Mouse enabled as – Wakeup – ]
9- Do you have an External Keyboard –
10- Does Laptop have any – [COM Ports] – IRQ [3] & IRQ [4] appear to be usable/free
11- Does Laptop have Parallel LPT1 Port – IRQ [7] appears usable/free
12- Is Printer USB Device or connected to Network
13- Is your V.92 Modem Active – [Is this your Internet Connection]

Jack123

gkaye

gkaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
1. I only have two physical ports and i've always wondered why there are 4 listed
3. normally the logitech receiver is the only thing plugged in - i also have a USB printer, external dvd burner, USB flash disk, Wacom graphic tablet - which i uninstalled because i thought it might be conflicting
4. I believe i have that based on my device manager, i do have an IEEE 1394 port but never use it
5. I have a router in my house that i use and connect to wireless on campus but no actual network is setup
6. Yes, my internal touchpad works fine
7. I believe i have sleep mode enabled
8. Mouse in not enabled as wake-up
9. No external keyboard
10. No com ports on computer only IEEE 1394, 2 USB ports, VGA, s-video out - dell totally screwed me by replacing my previous system with one that has no ports
11. no LPT port - USB used for printer
12. Printer is USB
13. i primarily use wireless for internet and occasionally Ethernet, no standard telephone line

Just so you know, I'm a student so I'm constantly moving my system and nothing is usually stationary and nothing is usually plugged in for a long period of time.

thank again for your help

gkaye

gkaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
just a quick question....do you think upgrading to SP2 would help at all?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Disconnecting USB Mouse from PC (#4)
30th Jan 2006

just a quick question....do you think upgrading to SP2 would help at all?

Yes it might – You may have a better driver to select from – But something else may go – Can you get in touch with Dell – If the Driver is not Microsoft Approved – for [Hot Swappable/Disconnect] – May be problem

Dell thought that USB was the best way to go – Not having a Parallel Port can be a Problem with a Laptop that relies on a different printer each place – but you can use a Parallel to USB Adaptor – or COM Port to USB Adaptor

I will ask some of our other Techs – to look into this problem – See if I can find another – Student with a Dell Laptop & Cordless Mouse –

I have some ideas – but I do not want to mess you up – I don’t have a Laptop or a Cordless Mouse to Play with –

Can you go into sleep Mode & disconnect – Receiver without Freezing -

How about if you disconnect Receiver – Then Turn ON Laptop – What happens when you Hot Connect the Receiver – Does it Freeze then –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 14 March 2006 - 09:46 AM.

Advertisements

gkaye

gkaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
this is actually the part that really confuses me. if i shut down the system, remove the receiver then reboot, the system will freeze after about 5-10 seconds.

i will give the standby a shot

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Disconnecting USB Mouse from PC (#5)
3rd Feb 2006

Just posting to let you know – I am still working on your problem - Sorry about not posting back – sooner but I had some other pressing items –

this is actually the part that really confuses me. if i shut down the system, remove the receiver then reboot, the system will freeze after about 5-10 seconds.

i will give the standby a shot

Might be the Network Card – I am still waiting on – [Standby Mode] – Results –

Jack123

gkaye

gkaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
sorry, for the delay, stand-by mode doesnt work either.

thanks again

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
jack...i've got a dell inspiron 600m and the exact mouse that this guy has...if you need me to test something...mine works fine..i can unplug it any time i like...i've never had problems booting with it not plugged in either

gkaye

gkaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK guys, here's a huge update:

After speaking with dell they believed it was the motherboard, so since it was out of warranty i replaced it. IT SOLVED NOTHING.

I recently found out that its not the mouse thats the problem but was the cause. for some reason the system will not start up without any usb device plugged in. whether thats the mouse or a flash drive. im assuming that when windows initially installed the HID drivers it overwrote something that is constantly looking for a USB device.

ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME

thanx guys