Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ripping dts audio-dvd

• Please log in to reply

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
hey idk if this is video editting but whatever here it goes. i bought queen's "a night at the opera" 2005 collector's edition. it consists of a cd, and a dts audio-dvd. the dvd features videos for each song. also, on the dvd, u can select the sound to be in either 24-bit stereo(btw what is this?) or in 5.1. can people here please point me to a program (preferably freeware, but not neccessarily) that i can use to rip the tracks in both stereo AND in 5.1? i hope u can agree on something that is like "THE" dts dvd-a ripping software, just like i see a LOT of people agreeing that EAC is THE ripping software for cd's.

An unrelated question, though i doubt it's worth making another topic: what's the difference between "ripping" and "grabbing"?

thx for ur help.

edit: if your wondering, i'm not asking for this help so that i can make copies of the dvd (i dun even have a dvd-burner), it's so that i have all my audio/video cds/dvds on my computer so that i don't have to load a cd/dvd everytime i want to listen to something. i just have around 600 ripped cd music files on my comp and i have winamp, so i just put them in the media library and put it on random. this way i can listen to music from multiple cds w/o changing cds in my cd rom drive. heh i got carried away there.

Edited by TaNkZ101, 24 January 2006 - 11:48 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could probaly achieve this with what u hear recording, so you play the DVD and record the audio

This can be used if your soundcard does not have the feature

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/

No big difference between ripping and grabbing

Ripping originated from rip off / ripping off

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
ok so with what would i be recording? and the record be recorded off of my sound card, or the actuall dvd? i'd like it to be off the actual dvd so it keeps its original quality

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will be recording from the DVD via the soundcard to whatever recording programme you are using. There is probably a restriction on copying a DVD Audio soundtrack

[attachment=6191:attachment]

You should get similar quality to CD depending on the soundcard

You would need to use DVD Authoring software otherwise

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
ok it says "This DVD video disc does not contain regional coding, but will play on PAL system compatable players only." other than that it doesn't mention any kind of restrictions (besides the copyright, of course). however it DOES have a small square on the dvd that says something in german.
is there a way to get the files directly from the dvd, i.e. without the use of the soundcard, like Exact Audio Copy gets .wav files from cds w/o using the soundcard? i'm asking this because, as far as i know, i don't have a 5.1 soundcard

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Put the disc in, cancel anything which tries to autoplay it, click start, click my computer, right click the drive with the disc, click explore

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
two folders:
AUDIO_TS (which is empty)
VIDEO_TS contains:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_02_0.BUP
VTS_02_0.IFO
VTS_02_1.VOB
VTS_02_2.VOB
VTS_02_3.VOB.

so i'm assuming these are the video files... lol.
so i click 'back' and WHAM... my computer freezes. i open another my computer and WHAM... it's blank, and also frozen.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Assuming you remove the disc and reboot and all is well, it seems the audio is linked to the video, so only playing it and using what u hear will enable recording of the sound

This will be the same quality as any previous recordings you have made