Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Service Pack 2

• Please log in to reply

Steph_M

Steph_M

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have a question... I reformated my hard drive and installed SP2 my downloads have been way slower and my friend told me it could be the service pack. Could it be the service pack? have anybody heard of this? and is there anyway to find out what it is and what i should do? thank you,

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, it could be, but what are you downloading?

Sp2 limits the number of concurrent connections (I think to four). There is actually a very good reason for this, as it reduced the damaged a machine can cause if it becomes a "zombie." (taken over by trojan for use in DoS attacks).

It could also be your receive window is set improperly.

Steph_M

Steph_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hey gerryf thanks for the reply... I think you might have helped me before. Anyways im using BitTornado to download ummm... I dont know stuff, everything. so what are you saying..? limit to 4 something... can I change this? or should/can I get rid of SP2. downloads are huge to me and before they were really fast now it take days and the stuff still isnt downloaded. I cant live like this. lol

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that does sound like a related issue

There is a little utility on this page to patch the tcpip.sys driver, and more info about the situation here:

http://www.speedguid...les.php?id=1497

Steph_M

Steph_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I dont think that did anything.... Is there anything I can do to check if it changed anything? I mean im not sure if the patch worked. thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you run the patch again, it wll tell you how many current half open connections are available (10 or 50)

Steph_M

Steph_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
lol... yeah I just did that, :) it says 50 but my downloads are still really slow.... :tazz: I guess maybe its something else.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
extract the attached file , then double click and say yes to merge into registry

Also, did you check for updates for your modem or network card?

Attached Files

Steph_M

Steph_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I forgot to mention before I got talkbroadband phones through primus, but I didnt think that would change anything cause it goes through a router and ive been able to download just as fast using other routers... so I dont know.. I did that thing you just told me to do, I guess ill see if that does anything.