Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

shutdown hangup

• Please log in to reply

dbark

dbark

• Pip
  • 2 posts
System: Gateway, Intel Motherboard D845GRG,ATI RADEON 9800 PRO video card,2.0g Processor, 512mm memory, 80g harddrive
Attempted fixes: Disabled welcome screen, uninstalled/reinstalled vidoe card software, uninstalled/reinstalled memory sticks.added " no saving settings " to registry.
All to no avail.
any suggestions and help will be GREATLY appreciated.
THANKS

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi dbark!

Do you by chance have Norton Internet Security (NIS) or Mcafee Security Center (MSC) installed on your computer? If you do, uninstall them in that they are junk software.

I would then suggest that you download AVG Antivirus Free Edition and Microsoft Antispyware. Both are great programs and both are free to use with frequent updates to the spyware and virus definitions. NIS and MSC is such a resource hogs that they slow down computers alot.

If you are worried about not having a firewall, then I suggest you download either Sygate or Zone Alarm, both are free and are very good. You will be surprised on how much better your computer runs without NIS installed.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 24 January 2006 - 06:52 PM.

dbark

dbark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Fenor,
i`ve got symantic a/v corporate edition, counterspy, microsoft antispyware,adaware, spybot s&d, spyware guard, spyware blaster.
for firewall, zonealarm & using linksys router.
i think i`ve got a file conflict somewhere but i`ll be darn if i can find it. thats only a guess. i could really use any help i can get. don`t want to reformat if i can help it.