Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer self shutdown

• Please log in to reply

PinkSockPrincess

PinkSockPrincess

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I did a post here: http://www.geekstogo...topic=87758&hl= back on dec 29th and was referred here.

My computer keeps shutting down on it's own for no apparant reason while connected to the internet. it's fine when not connected. I was refered by Metallica as you can see from the previous post, although I'm not sure why.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

To be honest, my initial response to your problem was that it's being caused by malware of some description. However, Pieter seems sure that there is no malware problem & that's good enough for me.

How do you connect to the Internet? For example, do you connect directly to an broadband modem or router or another computer etc? Can you also tell me what type of connection you use, such as ethernet cable, USB cable etc?

PinkSockPrincess

PinkSockPrincess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have a laptop with an internal modem and connect using aol on a regular phone line.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

PinkSockPrincess

PinkSockPrincess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hmmm. Well on a day I know it happened there are no red x's for that day, so not sure where we go to next?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can you tell me the make & model of your laptop please?

PinkSockPrincess

PinkSockPrincess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It's a Medion Titanium MD 2900. Their website is http://www.medionusa.com if that's any help?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thanks for the link. Medion do report a very similar problem to yours but only when using USB modems.

Can you try this please & see if it makes a difference :

Go into Control Panel->System. Click on the Advanced tab, then click on the Startup & Recovery button. Clear the 'Automatically Reboot' checkbox & click OK. Reboot the system & see if this makes any difference.

PinkSockPrincess

PinkSockPrincess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm afraid it's still shutting down on me, even in the midst of me doing something. Any more ideas to try??

Thanks!!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Are you absolutely certain that it only shuts down whilst you are online? Do you actually use the laptop offline for long periods without any problems?

I don't mean to sound like I'm doubting what you're saying at all, I just want to be certain that this isn't a potentially damaging hardware issue (such as overheating for example) before we go any further.

PinkSockPrincess

PinkSockPrincess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It seems to be isolated to when I'm on the internet yes. I have left it on without being connected to the net before and it didn't shut down. That's why I thought it was some form of worm or malware as it seemed to be happening when I was connected online.

Thanks!

Edited by PinkSockPrincess, 02 February 2006 - 04:15 PM.