Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Won't Boot Up After SP1a install

• Please log in to reply

Gava

Gava

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there,

I was having a malware problem, and in the course of having that fixed over in the malware forum I was told to install Windows XP Service Pack 1a.

So I ran the installation and everything seemed to go fine. The computer re-booted on its own, but during the reboot it got hitched up. The Windows XP screen appeared (with the progress bar underneath the logo), and then the screen went a nice blue color as if it was getting ready to boot up for good, but I never saw the desktop. Instead the computer just stops booting up (you can hear the audible whirring sound stop), and then restarts again. The process then repeats, and repeats, and repeats... If I were to leave the computer alone it appears that it would do this indefinitely.

I tried to boot-up in safe mode, but the same problem occurs. The only difference is that when the computer hitches up and terminates the boot-up process, an error message flashes across the screen. It is very difficult to read because it flashes so quickly, but after a few restarts in safe mode I was able to make something out. The message is something like "system fatal error: logon process terminated unexpectedly." There are some numbers as well, but they fly by too quickly to read.

Anyway, I would very much appreciate some help here. I was just starting to feel like I was going to get this malware problem addressed...

thanks so much,
Gava

Edited by Gava, 24 January 2006 - 05:36 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the next time the error comes up..could you try and see if the 0x number ends in 21a? or 05? (researching the best options here)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...got a couple questions...do you have your xp disk?

Gava

Gava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
dsenette,

Thanks so much for replying!

The computer that is having trouble belongs to a community organization at which I help out. I'll try to swing by there this morning and spot the error number. I emailed the director yesterday, asking her to check for (and provide me with) an XP disk. Hopefully by this afternoon I can reply to your questions.

Twenty four hours from now I'll be working there, can implement your suggestions in real time, and can use another computer to communicate via this message board.

I hope (fingers crossed) that you'll be available in that time frame. Sorry to keep you waiting...

best,
Gava

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
theoretically yes i will be available....
but...

what i'm wanting you to try...is to see if you can start the machine up in safe mode with command prompt (probably not gonna work)
if you can, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe at the command prompt that comes up....if you can't get into safe mode with command prompt..

boot to the xp cd and choose the options to get to the recovery console (the r button) then try the %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe command there...

in either circumstance...this will start the system restore utility in which case you can select a restore point previous to the date of the sp1 install

if neither of those options work then..

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

Gava

Gava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
dsenette,

Thanks so much! I'll give this a try at the first opportunity.

A couple of questions:

1. I have a disk that has been formatted by XP to start in MS-DOS. Supposing I can't get my hands on a XP disk tomorrow and I can't start in Safe Mode with a Command Prompt (I tried that yesterday and it didn't work), should I try that disc, and then follow your instructions at the c-prompt?

2. If I get an XP disk and "Repair an existing installation," will I, in addition to the same apps/settings, have the same files? I'm sure that this group doesn't want me repairing their computer by loosing their data... :tazz:

Thanks again! These message boards are a great resource.

best,
Gava

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
1) yeah that should work

2) none of the files will change...the repair option just rebuilds the OS

Gava

Gava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
dsenette,

Well the MS-Dos start-up disk is pretty useless, because it only gives me access to A:\.

And no one here can find an XP CD, so I'm sort of stuck...

Is there any other way to boot this computer and get access to C:\ such that I can run this rstrui.exe??

thanks,
Gava

Edited by Gava, 26 January 2006 - 10:31 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
from your boot disk...can you do a cd C:\ ? does that get you to the c drive? www.bootdisk.com see if you can get a 98se boot disk...they also have an xp bootdisk that may work as well...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you try enable vga mode (below safe mode)...sometimes this works when others fail...

did you try last known good configuration?

I do not believe
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

works in the recovery console....could be wrong, but pretty certain it will not.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...i guess that may be true...but i figured that since the recovery console gives you direct acess to the %systemroot% location...i figured it would allow you to run the rstrui....could be wrong

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just tried it, no it does not work in recovery console.

While RC does give you access to those directories, it does not give you unlimited access and ability to run any program...it' actually pretty restrictive and darned annoying

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that is annoying...i just assumed it would work...that kind of sucks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how did you install sp1a--windows update? IT redistributable?

Gava

Gava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah, you can't access C:\ with the MS-DOS disk, typing cd C:\ or otherwise. Kind of makes me wonder what the point of that disk is anyway...

I've tried every possible boot-up mode, including vga. Nothing works.

I also have been able to spot the number better that flashes before the boot-up terminates.

fx 000000080 (0000000 0000000x00)

Somethinglike that. Obviously I don't know if I have the amount of zeros right.

The director has ordered XP disks for the office - they either lost them or they didn't come with this DELL computer, I don't know. Hopefully they'll be here soon. If I can get my hands on a disk I'll still be able to "repair existing installation", right?

I'm just hoping we can get this computer booted up and I can go back to trying to solve the malware problem that got this whole thing started...

-Gava